Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. Hornady factory ammo for my .223 using 55 gr. V-max bullets have outstanding accuracy. I have burned thru 100 bullets using H-335 and Varget trying to get close to this but can't compare. I'm next going to try some H-322 but was wondering your opinions? I know that it likes the bullet but which powder comes close or which powder does Hornady actually use for factory ammo?

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,528 Posts
Not sure about factory powder use...
For my Savage 10FP, It LOVES Win 748! I think that Hodgdon is having issues, at least they have had with BL-C(2). I used to use that religiously, but there has been some horrible consistency's between lots recently. More so than rhe norm.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is a Savage 11. Thanks I will try some of that powder. What primer are you using? As of late I can't find anything but WSR and they seem to make no difference to the CCI I normally use.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,528 Posts
I have been a winchester primer man as long as I have been reloading!! So fire away!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got some groups I can work with. This unfortunately was not a v-max, but a 52 grain Speer BTHP which I can get for $17 per 100 from a local gun shop. I used member suggestions of H-335 with this weight range of bullets. I can't believe I forgot the sky screens for my chronograph so I do not have any velocity figures.

Each are 5 shot groups. What makes me sick is each had a flyer. What do you folks do about a flyer? It's hard for me to just forget about it. And second, which charge would you tweak? The first is 25.5 and the second is 26.5 grains of H-335. Range is @100 yards.

223.JPG

223 26.JPG

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Finally got some groups I can work with. This unfortunately was not a v-max, but a 52 grain Speer BTHP which I can get for $17 per 100 from a local gun shop. I used member suggestions of H-335 with this weight range of bullets. I can't believe I forgot the sky screens for my chronograph so I do not have any velocity figures.

Each are 5 shot groups. What makes me sick is each had a flyer. What do you folks do about a flyer? It's hard for me to just forget about it. And second, which charge would you tweak? The first is 25.5 and the second is 26.5 grains of H-335. Range is @100 yards.

View attachment 9417

View attachment 9418

Just for whats it worth, I seen lots of writeups on .223s where the prefered load of 335 is 26 grains. Sounds like you are in the ballpark. My Savage M-12 shoots 25 grains of H4895 very well with LC brass, WSR primers behind a 55 grain V-max and .010 jump. I have no issues with Winchester WSR primers and are auctually prefered when using ball powder.

For the fliers check the bullet runout of loaded rounds. Since going with Reddings competition seating dies, the runout is way less, vertually eliminating fliers.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the fliers check the bullet runout of loaded rounds. Since going with Reddings competition seating dies, the runout is way less, vertually eliminating fliers.
I was thinking that was probably what is going on. Thanks for the reply.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
My Ruger MkII V/T dotes on the Speer 52 gr FBHP and a case full of Varget with a CCI BR4 primer.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Ruger MkII V/T dotes on the Speer 52 gr FBHP and a case full of Varget with a CCI BR4 primer.
Thanks kdub I have 2 pounds of Varget so I'll try this too. Had good accuracy with it and the 55 grain v-max, just not great. I also have some 50 grain v-max bullets. So many combos, so little time.

·
Super Moderator
13,632 Posts
EWestbrook,

It occurs to me the fliers might be the effect of secondary pressure spikes? They can happen if a powder is on the slow side for the bullet weight. Going to faster powder or a heavier bullet always stops it. I would try something like either IMR or H4198. QuickLOAD thinks about 22 grains will match barrel time and pressure pretty well in the middle of what you've been loading, but work up to it. If you can't stand the idea of the 60 or 70 fps you will lose with a 4198, then Reloader 10X is a good compromise. At about 23.4 grains it should, again, be in the ballpark of your other loads, but can actually beat the H335 for velocity while lowering muzzle pressure somewhere inbetween the two. It is nearer an efficiency optimum, speed-wise.

If you want to keep trying with the 335, I would knock the load down 5% and try a magnum primer (if you haven't already) as a next step. Work back up to the accuracy sweet spot. That might get it going more consistently?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks unclenick. I'm not going to fuss over a few fps. I'll take constant accuracy any day over it. It seems to me H-335 is a little dirty or is it just me? Takes $20 worth of patches and solvent to clean it after shooting! I may try your advise and change powders after I play with this for a bit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
23.1gr of H322 under a 55gr v-max is grouping well from my Savage model 14. Benchmark didn't group as well.
I have a box of 60gr v-max that I'm going to work some loads up with also, I like the v-max for varmints and they do alright for target shooting also.
Tinkering with it makes it fun, good luck finding one that works for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts