Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co worker has a rem 700 bdl in 7mm08 with a heavy barrll he purchashed used about 25 years ago. Has not been shot much.. I am thinking about buying it but he wants to sell two scopes and a synthetic " tactical" stock which he never installed. . I was curious what the rifle alone might be worth... thoughts on value ..and shootability / accuracy potential ?? thanks, swig

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
its hard to say what its worth, locale certainly plays a role in it. that is not a real common rifle but it was in the catalog for many years so it's not a collectors item either. i would say probably $600 give or take 50 or so... it depends on how bad you want it and how bad he wants to sell it and that sort of thing...

·
Registered
585 Posts
$500 for the rifle. Depends what the scopes are but used optics mean little to me when buying, they're usually poor quality or not something I want on the rifle anyway.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
While not exactly rare, a quick perusal of Gunbroker for current Rem. 700 BDL rifles in 7mm-08 reveals none being offered. In excellent condition, the gun may be worth as much as $600, to the right buyer. Personally, having someone try to force a stock, and at least one scope that I probably do not want or need, as part of the deal would make me less interested. If they are two good quality scopes and you could use a second one for another gun, the stock should be easy enough to resell.

I would be far more interested in a 25 year-old Remington than a brand new one.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,889 Posts
dwsig -

Please take the time to read the last "Sticky" above in this forum regard gun values.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You probably don't need to worry about accuracy , if the rifle has been properly maintained . My Brother has the exact same piece and it is the most accurate factory stock rifle that I have ever seen , and I've seen a bunch of them ! Ask him what he's looking to get for all the stuff , then subtract the value of the stuff you don't want , and make him an offer . That being said , if you want a straight shooting 7mm-08 , you probably don't want to let this one get away !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fifle has a redfield 6 18 mounted a a new in box leupold new in box vari X 3 long range target included . also new in box a Choat ultimate sniper stock .and 4 boxes of loads. he wants to sell all for $1500. I am not shure if the choat stock would actually enhance the accuracy potential of the rig or not ...any thoughts..? It would seem a shame to take off a nice wood stock and install a synthectic unless there is an accuracy atvantage.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you truly have an interest in the gun , make arrangments to shoot it ! If I were to buy it i'd sell the Redfield and one of the Stocks . The Choate stock would be the easiest to sell and be worth more . Any Scope costing less than $200 new doesn't really add any value to a used Gun . When I buy scoped rifles I usually seperate them and resell seperately , but not always !

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
he's probably not too far off on his price for the package, just depends on what you want to spend. i'd pedal the choate and the leupold since the leupold is new in the box and a more desirable name brand. i'm guessing that the redfield is an older model? they made great glass in the past but it would still be easier to sell the leupold, most likely.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,503 Posts
So, why does this co-worker need/want to sell this rifle? Are you friends? If you are you may not be in the end. Trust me.

IMO the Choate stock looks goofy and the "Ultimate Sniper" stock is only $190 @ Midway. The Leupold VX3 scope might be worth $750, so now we're up to $940 worth of stuff you don't need. You could sell the stuff but why go through all the hassle. He's the one who bought it so he can worry about selling it.

Deal on just the rifle with the scope that's on it. Start at $400, but don't go over $500.

RJ

·
Registered
261 Posts
RJ has it right. Don't fool with the Choate stock, they are real heavy. The varmint Choate looks OK but the tactical one is ugly. I have one of the old varmint barreled BDL's chambered in 22-250 and it is the most accurate factory gun I've ever owned(but I've had a couple heavy-barreled savages that came close). For mine to get that way I had to lighten the trigger and glass-bed the action floating the barrel. That alone took it from a 1 MOA gun to a .3 MOA gun with the only hand load I've ever put thru it, and .3 is good enough for me, so I didn't bother trying to find a more accurate load. I did the little bit of gun-smith work myself so it was very rewarding. If you buy the gun and it don't shoot close to .5 MOA, glassbed the action and float the barrel and while your at it adjust the trigger, both are easy to do. Some guns likes their barrels floated while others do fine the way they are.
Dave

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you see one on GB I seriously doubt you would get that rifle for less than $750-800. The 7mm-08 is a somewhat rare caliber in these rifles. The last one I saw sold for over $1000.

The scopes are hard to price since there are so many variations of the Leupolds and the prices vary a great deal. If it is a VX-3 long range it could be from $790 to $975!! And them numbers are dealer cost right out of a catalog sitting in front of me as I type this.

So , I would say more homework on your part is needed on rifle condition and exactly what models the scopes are. You could be looking at one heck of a deal for the package or things could be a touch on the high side. The rifle is open to discussion on what one thinks it is worth but if you want one , you may look for a long time before you find another in 7mm-08.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have one of those rifles. It's a Remington 700 Varment special in 7MM-08. I purchased it in the late 80's. I believe these rifles were meant to appeal to the metallic silhouette shooters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your input guys... I did purchase just the rifle, I has a 6 x 18 redfield on it. I shot a box of 150 grn federals at 100 yds and had 3 better than 1 inch groups. Which show potential as I have not shot rifle much for several years. I will have to get my reloader set up and see how it will do....Swig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts