Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weatherby vanguard in 7mm rem mag . Anyway I took it to a gunsmith to have a muzzle break put on . Its a new rifle and he says he can't get the barrel off the action . Anyone know any tricks or such to get this thing apart so it will go on a lathe ?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,135 Posts
It's not my gun, so take this for what it's worth and do so at your own risk.... but after he has it clamped down in the barrel vise / action wrench, and applying as much torque as possible..... whack the action wrench down near the base with a hammer. Functions somewhat as an impact wrench would.

It seems unlikely that thread locker was used, but in the event..... heat up to 200, 250 F or so, let cool, and that would bread down any adhesive.

He could also gently heat the receiver while applying torque.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
You may want to have a Weatherby authorized dealer put the muzzel brake on. They have to charge a very reasonable set price.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
They will come off, but you do need to put some torque on them and a good whack on the end of the cheater bar on the action wrench sometimes is necessary.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Looks like your on the right track. I was on another site last night and they were discussing Custom Vanguards. Some said to do just as has been here. Mickey Coleman a well know accuracy Smith said he had several that he had to cut reliefs in the barrel to get them loose.
He said Howa had not used loc-tite but they were super torqued, since a 3ft wrench and a hammer was not enough in some cases??

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have had more trouble removing vanguard barrels then I like to remember. Heat and a 3 ft. cheater and a couple of hard wraps with a very large mallet works most of the time.

Reactions: JBelk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yep BillyJoe:

Nothing against your local "smith", but I think you need to go elsewhere.

Perhaps Weatherby itself ... I am thinking the money spent is worth the end result that you desire.

Ridge

·
Registered
45 Posts
No real need to remove barrel to install a brake.

Just pull the action and remove the trigger and bolt, and slip the barrel into the lathe headstock from the rear. You will need some sort of centering device in the rear of the lathe.

Do not turn the barrel at high speed because of the action being unbalanced on the rear of the barrel.

Turn the muzzle end of the barrel down to size and thread it for your brake.

As an aside, I have a Vanguard that I can swap barrel calibers to suit my needs without taking the scope off. My gunsmith pulled the original barrel with no problem. They are tight though, more so than really needed, probably to keep unauthorized people from pulling the barrels.

I installed a .308 barrel and torqued at 40 ft-lbs. My gunsmith is an expert and he says that Weatherby really puts lots of torque on their barrels to keep non-weatherby-authorized people from swapping them easily. He says the tremendous torque is not really necessary. You will need to take your Vanguard to an expert gunsmith with a really good vise and tooling to break the original barrel loose. Afterwards you can use a regular vise with belting wrapped around the barrel and a homemade piece of 3/4 X 3/8 inch bar stock to fit inside the action to loosen and tighten barrels.

After I tighted the .308 barrel, I used a drill to put a dimple in the barrel threads under the front action screw. I bought a short allen hex set screw to lock it, and shortened the front action screw a small amount.

Now, I can swap barrels on my Vanguard in about 15 minutes. I have collected two now; .308, .243, and I'm looking for a 6.5 Creedmore. The Howa 1500 action is a great action, and once you break the original barrel loose, it is easy to change barrels as needed. The barrel threads are metric though, and if you install a custom barrel, you need a lathe capable of doing metric threads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts