Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently reviewed the "Rugers Big 45s" tech note. In that the cyinder sizes of Rugers 45s were discussed. In the article the cylinder dimensions were given as:

The New model Super Blackhawk is 1.670" long by 1.725" dia.

The Redhawk is listed at 1.75" long by 1.780" dia.

The Super redhawk at 1.75" by 1.790" dia.

The Vaquero .45 is significantly lighter than these revolvers, does anybody know the dimensions of its cylinder?

Thanks

Eric

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,321 Posts
Should be same as New Model Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk, as that is what a Vaquero basically is (with a different shaped topstrap and fixed sights).

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The Vaquero and Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk are the exact same. I was playing around one day and all three would interchange. The only difference is the length which can vary slightly.

I bought a 44 mag Super Blackhawk cylinder from Gary Reeder ( a take off from one of his rebuilds). I installed it in a stainless Vaquero and rechambered it using a reamer from Brownell's. Now I have a Vaquero with minimum chambers, unfluted cylinder. and bead blasted finish. I also installed a Super Blackhawk hammer ( wider ). It did require adjusting the cylinder gap slightly with a reamer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Bigfoot,
Explain "adjusting the cylinder gap with a reamer"?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The cylinder gap is the space between the cylinder and forcing cone of the barrel. The standard is .003" to .006". Measure the gap and remove the cylinder. The handle goes through the bore with a pilot of the proper diameter, the cutter threads onto the handle inside the frame. When turned it cuts the end of the barrel square to the bore. Too small a gap and the cylinder can bind up due to fouling, heat etc. Too large a gap and it spits lead and powder residue out to the side. Accuracy suffers also.

After cutting the cyliinder gap another tapered cutter threads onto the handle and can recut the forcing cone. When I purchased the cylinder I had to measure the total length of the cylinder, including the end bearing. The cylinder I received was .001" longer and tightened the gap so there is very little "shake" to the cylinder. I have fired this a few times but have not had the chance to check accuracy. It functions without problems.

I have a good background with machines and am experienced with tools. I am not a gunsmith, but approach jobs like this with care.

Have fun but be careful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts