Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone slugged a Ruger Vaquero in 44-40?
I'm looking to purchase a SA 44-40 handgun and I've narrowed it to one of two. A Ruger Vaquero or a Cimmaron model P . The deciding factor will be the groove diameter of the Ruger. The model P has .429 groove dia, which is the same as my Winchester M94. I want to use my present mould with both.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jack,

Seems to me like I remember reading that some people had issues with the Rugers in .44-40 when they first came out because of the bores being the same size as their .44 Mags. and accuracy was a problem with the .427" bullets.

I don't know if Ruger ever changed the bore dimensions on the .44-40 or not, but didn't they make a dual cylinder model Vaquero with .44-40 and .44 Mag cylinders?

Personally, I'd pursue a Ruger before the foreign made SAA clone, but that's just me.....

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input.
I seem to remember that they did offer a 44mag/44-40 convertible.
After talking to several dealers within a 100 mile radius I decided to go with Ruger. The Cimmaron was up to 6 months wait, and several have quit dealing with Cimmaron Arms due to problems with their products.
I ordered the Vaquero, stainless w/ 4 5/8" bbl, 50.00 cheaper than the Cimmaron and it will be here this tuesday. as far as my mould size matching ,I can open up my mould a couple thou. My rifle will accept up to .432 dia bullets, A little bit tight but useable.

Thanks  and keep them all in the ten ring.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:D
I picked up my new 44-40 Vaquero this mornin---I must be living right--I miked the gun before I left the store as follows:

Cylinder throats-- 5 were .430  1 was .4295
Bbl/cyl gap--      a snug .004
bore --            .417
groove--           .429
trigger pull--     3.5 lbs consistantly
barrel restrictions were almost not noticeable.
There is some roughness in the action but it should smooth out with use.
Is Ruger finally listening to their customers wants/needs?

can't wait to get it to the range friday, got 700 rounds just waiting to be fired.     :D

Then I can start some load developing next week

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jack,

Sounds like you got a winner.  What are you planning for ammo?  Let us know how the range work comes out.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:(
Much to my dismay, my shooting has come to a screeching halt for a while, spent the afternoon in Emerg-room--5 hairline fractures in my right wrist. The doc said about 2 to 3 weeks.
but the loads I have loaded are from Mike Venturino's book "Shooting Colt Single Actions" and Dave Scovill's book "Loading the Peacemaker Colt's Model P".
I've loaded with Blue Dot, Bullseye, Unique and 2400 under RCBS 200gr cast.
As soon as I can shoot again I'll post the results.

Keep'em all in the ten ring

1 - 6 of 6 Posts