Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you Vaquero owners think of the fixed sites? Have you been able to hit what you're shooting at? Is the windage on from the factory?

I love the feel of the Vaquero but I've always had the adjustable sites of the Super Blackhawk. Not that I've really needed to use the adjustments but they were there if I did.

Thanks.

EricG

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
EricG,
I think the sights on the Vaquero suck. I bought a 5.5" case/blue Bisley Vaquero last year and have been very unimpressed with the finish of the revolver and the sights. Ruger makes the front sight a little tall so you can take care of the elevation problems permanently once you've decided on a load, or loads, that will impact at the same point so far as elevation. The problem that I am upset about is that the windage misalignment. If it where only and inch or two at 25yds it wouldn't bother me, but it's a full 5 inches to the right on my revolver. I let other people shoot it, shot it offhand, off a rest, off sandbags, and from different field positions to ensure it wasn't my hold or otherwise MY problem. I have a lot of Ruger single actions, and I realize they are considered an economy handgun by some, but this Vaquero is a true dissapointment as it came out of the box.

I realize that most production revolvers need a little tweeking here and there, but the sighting situation is pathetic. My Taurus M85 snubnose and Springfield Armory "Loaded" .45 hit point of aim out of the box. If Taurus can make a revolver with a good trigger pull and fixed sights that hit point of aim for $225, Ruger should at least be able to furnish a revovler that has the windage acceptably close for nearly twice the money. Maybe I just got lucky with the M85, but I think Ruger should rethink the idea of producing revovlers that need adjustments that cannot be made without special tools for rotating the barrel, that are beyond the ability of 99+% of the users to correct. The Vaquero has a premium in price over the Blackhawk, the case finish is crap, and it doesn't hit point of aim or anywhere close. I like the feel of the revolver, and a decent finish job would make it very attractive, but I cannot understand the mentality behind the sights. I'm of the opinion that Vaquero should cost less than the Blackhawk for what you get, but I guess I'm in the minority here.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
EricG,

I have two Vaquaros and would only recommend them for Cowboy shooting level performance....big targets, not too far away and don't have to worry about the X ring. I have experimented repeatedly with various loads and have never been able to get either of them to point of aim. I could have a gunsmith regulate them, but what happens when I change loads? We all know what happens when you change from a light load to a heavy load....the point of aim changes so I've decided if I'm going to spend the money (other than cowboy), I want a more versitile revolver. I do realize that other shooters are more proficient shooters and can regulate their Kentucky windage better than I so my comments about big targets/short range only apply to myself. But the impact of load change on point of aim is real for all of us and I think much easier to handle with adjustable sights....which also offer better sight pictures.

Dan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,233 Posts
Sights are pretty narrow. I have one but have not shot it much. Am planning on making the front sight into a ramp with some sort of checkering on it so light will reflect off of it consistently.

Also will probably mill out the sight channel in the frame a bit. I have settled on my .45 loads so will make the gun fit them.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Actually, this is a problem common to many single action revolvers, not just Rugers. I have three Colt SAA clones, all from different companies, and each shoots significantly low and to the left. Two are made by Uberti in Italy, but were assembled and finished here in the States - one by Navy Arms, the other by Cimarron Arms. The third is made by Armi San Marco in Italy and assembled by KBI.

Now, I'm not excusing Ruger, or anyone, for not making the proper adjustments at the factory, but it does, for whatever reason, seem to be considered "normal" and acceptable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts