Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why dont more load with Varget in 45-70? It gets good velocities, low pressure, less recoil, and is very temperature insensitive. I like it is why I am asking for why it is not used more. Thanks for your inputs. Good shooting!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well over 30yrs ago I asked similar questions of Hercules Reloader#7, now Alliant. If it ain't broke Iwon't fix it. My Rolling Block and #3Ruger in 45-70 shoot like no tomorrow with Re7 so I feel no need to change. The truth be known, you can't arrive at better ballistics in a 45-70 then Re7 is capable of. Varget and IMR3031 are a might slow for the old girl. Just run the loads across a chrony out of the same gun. Re7 tweaks it the best.Perhaps if temperature enters into the equation, Re7 MAY have a problem I concede, but in the climates of the Buckeye State year around this is a non issue. I don't believe you can load Varget down to 30gr or up to 65gr and get good consistent performance from the 45-70. Anything I've seen on Varget is loaded heavy for the cartridge. The 308 win comes to mind inthis regard. I was initially interested in its acclaimed versatility,but see no reason to depart my ways.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,237 Posts
I've every intention of using Varget in a .45-70, it's just that I don't have the .45-70 yet!

So far it has worked well for me in the .22-250, .257 Rob., .30-06, and .338 Win Mag.  It might not be an ideal powder for any of them (save perhaps the .22-250) but it works pretty well in all and cuts down on the amount of powders that I have to keep up with.  The only other thing that I really use in rifles is one of the 4350's for my Swede.

In the .45-70, it looks a little slow, but still would deliver decent velocities and you couldn't hardly overcharge the case.  That's not such a bad thing.

Looks like what Varget might work well for is the .45-90 with it's increased case capacity (in a strong modern gun)... too bad you can't get that in a modern Marlin.  I'd buy one just for something different....

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Ruger#3,
I'm in your corner.When I first tried Rel#7,the results were so good,that I lost all interest in trying any thing else.I've been loading the 45/70 for a long time;when Hercules Sharpshooter was the best powder for it.
I used to get one hole groups at fifty yards with it,but ,when it ran out,I no other powder gave me consistant good groups.Twenty years later,I found Rel#7,and the accuracy has returned.A lot of folks like Varget,and when I get my long barreled Infantry rifle  fitted with an optical sight,I will give it a try.I think that it is a little slow burning for my Calvery Carbine.
Frank

·
Registered
254 Posts
Kragman71, when a man can get a 300gr cast load to do 1.25" at 100 at 1650fps, then go to a 300gr HP at 2080fps and get less then .5"groups and run the same Rem 300gr HP up to 2400+fps and keep it under .5" at 100yds from a 6.5#Ruger and a 1.5x4 Leupold why look elsewhere. It's also equipped with a Pachmayr Decelerator pad. This gun has the longthroated Ruger chamber and will shoot Win 300gr factory loads at less then .5" groups as well. Incidently those 3 loads will impact within an inch at 100yds. There was no load development to speak of because I didnt mount a scope until 3yrs ago to finally see how good it is capable of shooting.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Ruger#3,
That's great shooting. I can't get anything like that from my Army surplus 1873 Springfield Carbine.
Even with a dot sight,I'm happy with an occasional inch and a half group at 100 yards.
Out of respect for the gun's age,I don't shoot 400 grain bullets over 1400 FPS,but that is plenty for Whitetails.
Frank

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Hey, I thought I was one of the few that used a predominantly varmint/target powder in a smokestick.
  Been using 56gr. of Varget behind a 300gr. cast bullet from Widener's( sorry Beartooth, didn't know about ya then and bought 1000) in my EMF repro Sharps...
    Put a Creedmore sight and a globe on the sucker and i'll be darned if even out to 300yds. she holds a 3" group consistently....Rem. factory ammo can't even come close...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts