Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
When Leupold replaced the Vari X-II with the VX II, what changes were made? Is one noticeably better than the other?
Thanks.
Jeff
Leupold really screwed up with their change as it is confusing and misleading. the Vari-x II is not anywhere near a VX-II. the Vari-X II has friction adjustments and Magnesium Floride coatings. the VX-II's have the MC4 Multi coating, click adjustments, they are the old Vari-X III's opticaly. the scope closest to the Vari-X II is the VX-I. then the new VX-III (which even now have been replaced with the newer VX3 model) has indexed matched lens in addition to the click adjustments and fully MC4 coatings. the new VX3's have a second erector tube assembly spring to address the less than stellar tracking that folks were complaining about in the VX-III's. the rifleman is way down there, with 1/2 MOA friction adjustments , and Magnesium Floride coatings.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Moose, the simple version is this.

The Vari x II is now the VX-1 but with 1/4 inch click adjustments and better coatings.

The Vari x III is now the VX-2 but with better coatings.

The VX-3 is better than the Vari x IIIs due to better technology as Jim said.

Skip the Leupold Rifleman scopes. Not really up to what I consider Leupold's standards. They are definitely budget, entry level.

Ive got VX-1s, Vari X-IIs, VX-2s and Vari X-IIIs. Havent bought a VX-3 yet but maybe soon enough. I like them all.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Excellent information all! I will simply say that I also own way over a dozen Leupolds of differring types/levels ranging from one Rifleman (a gift) to a couple of the fine Leupold European 30mm models. To my eye the Vari-XIIs I own are just as clear as my VXII during any daylight comparison test I've tried. There is some upgrade in the VXII during low light conditions, due undoubtedly to the better coatings. The Vari-XII still performs fine (equally) during any "legal light tests", at least to my eye. My 30mm Leupolds are pretty much the equal of my Zeiss Conquests and better than the VXII scopes during even darker/later comparisons.

(For the record, I'm not familiar with any series called the VX-2)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,371 Posts
I have some of the older Vari-X II scopes. For legal shooting light for deer, in the ranges I normally hunt, it is not a big deal. They work. I have good binoculars for judging horns, making sure it's a doe not a spike, etc.

For the 30 minutes past legal shooting light (for deer), that's when the pigs come out. You do see a difference...... big objectives, thicker crosshairs, and better lens coatings are very evident!

Not a big deal if I blow a shot on a pig but we do like to see them dead!

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
I have some of the older Vari-X II scopes. For legal shooting light for deer, in the ranges I normally hunt, it is not a big deal. They work. I have good binoculars for judging horns, making sure it's a doe not a spike, etc.

For the 30 minutes past legal shooting light (for deer), that's when the pigs come out. You do see a difference...... big objectives, thicker crosshairs, and better lens coatings are very evident!

Not a big deal if I blow a shot on a pig but we do like to see them dead!

I absolutely agree with the idea of bolder crosshairs when low light is on the agenda. Low light tests I've done give a big advantage to #4 and heavy duplex type reticles, especially when used against a dark background in fading light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.