Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a variable-power spotlight for shooting pigs at night. Let me explain the scenario:

I will be hunting on a ranch where the pigs are pretty well conditioned to hunters and only come out well after dark. We will be shooting them over bait, so the location where the pigs will show up is known. Blinds are generally around 50 yards from the bait.

If the moon is full and there are no clouds in the sky, you don't need a light. But this isn't always the case.

The obvious answer is a light of some type. But..... the pigs have been spotlighted before. Click on the light and you might have a second at most to shoot, then they all scatter like quail - total pandamonium.

It occurs to me that if you can s-l-o-w-l-y turn up the light, until you have just enough to shoot, that you might not spook the pigs. What I'm thinking is a simple dimmer switch on a spotlight, if that makes sense.

Most spotlights are way too powerful for this sort of hunting, anyway. A good flashlight will work, if you can turn it on without spooking them. And yes a red lense will even spook them.

Anyone know of a battery-powered spotlight where you can slowly crank up the light?

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I've used a few spotlights over the years, but I'm unaware of any that are variable powered. You could probably use one with a 12v battery with a rheostat in between the battery and the spotlight, but I'm not sure if it would work. I'd just get some Russian surplus night vision if it's in the budget, or a dot sight if you can see the piggy's well enough to use one. Before you take the last bit of advice, make sure it's legal first!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh it's legal... read the hunting regulations on hogs in TX, you can see that they are willing to allow pretty much anything. No seasons, no bag limits, you can spotlight, no restrictions on shooting from vehicles, you can use bait, no firearms restrictions (either caliber or restricted weapons).... you get the idea.

All you need is a hunting license and permission to hunt! And still the hogs seem to be gaining.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts