Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered one of these a few days ago. I was wondering if anybody here has had any experience with it. It's said to eliminate the muzzle jump from 209 primers by using a 400 small rifle primer installed in a brass adapter shaped like a 209.. Pretty intresting I thought.. The kit comes with all the tools needed to prime and re-prime the adapters, along with 10 adapters. In the photo there is 1 adapter that they said has been shot and re-primed 50 times.. Let me know what you think..

http://muzzleloadingbullets.com/variflame_primer_adapter.html

·
Registered
476 Posts
Looks like a good product. I use regular 209's in my Staghorn. I had a adaptor years ago for my New Englander that used small rifle primers in place of no.11 caps. I've not seen one of them for years.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I owned one of the breech plugs that used the 25 acp brass and small primer for a short period of time and saw no improvement in accuracy. After selling it to my brother in law he began using it in his omega and saw no accuracy improvement. He did however begin having the occasional hang fire and one no fire on a wet morning. Ill personally stick with the more reliable 209 primers (that are made specifically for muzzleloaders). I use Remington Clean bores and do not see an excessive amount of fouling.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I also had the 25acp primer conversion. No accuracy change but plenty of misfires. Now I'm back to 209's.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I guess my omega must really like the .25 conversion I've shot more than 200 rounds with the .25 acp with no misfires but thats with loose powder too.
Hey Joe
My gun was an Encore. Don't remember if it was Pyrodex pellets or loose powder but one out of five primers would fire but not ignite the powder. Removal of breechplug showed it would crud up quickly. I was trying to fix a flyer problem but it turned out I needed to clean the gun every shot and now it groups 1 1/2 inch @ 100 yds with the 209's. I never did figure out why I had such problems with my 25acp conversion. Glad you're having good luck with yours.
Ed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Joe
My gun was an Encore. Don't remember if it was Pyrodex pellets or loose powder but one out of five primers would fire but not ignite the powder. Removal of breechplug showed it would crud up quickly. I was trying to fix a flyer problem but it turned out I needed to clean the gun every shot and now it groups 1 1/2 inch @ 100 yds with the 209's. I never did figure out why I had such problems with my 25acp conversion. Glad you're having good luck with yours.
Ed
Yea I went to it too because I had flyers too, after I ordered it i called them and they said not to use pellets with it and to use the cci primers and it's been a great combo for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts