Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I need some help making a choice. I'm trying to decide between 2 Leupold scopes for my Weatherby .224 Varmintmaster with a 24" barrel. The first one is the 6.5x-20x Vari-X III and the other is the 4.5x-14x Vari-X III, both with fine duplex reticules. Normally I would go with the 6.5x-20x but at 14 inches long I think it might be too long for the rifle and be cumbersome to use for use in mixed woods coyote hunting. The 4.5x-14x is a shorter scope but I don't think it will have enough power for precise 250-350 yd shots. Any suggestions? Thanks, CEJ..

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,321 Posts
I would go with the 4.5x14. I had a 6.5x20 (40mm) and the extra magnification on the top end isn't always that much help, it depends on light condition, heat, and mirage. If you get the 50mm objective it will probably work better.

Depends what you are shooting at but I have shot prairie dogs with a 3.5x10 with no problems so I think that 14x should be pretty good. Have also shot out to 500 yards (milk jugs) with a 4x12 on a .50 BMG single-shot (hit them too!). I am looking for a 4.5x14 (40mm not 50mm) to replace the 6.5x20. Big scope was traded off for some things that I needed worse.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike, that was just the information I was looking for. I've never had a scope as large as the 6x-20x and I wasn't really sure if it was too much power for the rifle. I was talking to a couple of coyote swatters this morning at the coffee shop and they said the same thing. That .50 BMG sounds like one heck of a varmint gun :D CEJ..

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,321 Posts
Everything's a varmit when you have a .50 cal! It wasn't mine, though. Kind of exciting to put a few rounds through it but not something you'd want to hunt with every day, that's for sure.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Danny - Interesting reading but the Burris is just too long and heavy for me. They're good scopes but I've come to depend on my Leupolds for thier toughness and reliability. They also stand behind thier products 100% as I'm sure Burris will but those golden rings have earned my trust over the last 25 years. I've also found it at a better price than the testers did. :D Thanks again for the link! CEJ..

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,992 Posts
Have the Burris Signature 6x24x44 on a Ruger 77 V/T in .223 Rem.

Also, a Burris Fullfield 6x18x44 on a Kimber 82 .22LR.

The above is correct - I've found the higher power settings merely add to the natural body quiver and mirage effect from barrel heat, even with extended sun shades.

I'd go with the 4x14 for all practical shooting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have that VX-III 4.5-14x50 on a 7mmRM and use it pretty often, shooting out to 500 yards. I don't usually set it on 14x b/c it seems a little fuzzy. 11x is perfectly clear and has yet to cause problems shooting long range. Unless your going to shoot during twilight hours choose the 40mm instead. It allows the use of shorter rings and you can plant your cheek on the stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts