Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is your favorite varmint rifle? what caliber? what bullet do you shoot? just seein what everybody else thinks about it

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
I've had a lot of different rifles but I prefer the 223 Rem. Down here, you can get a lot of shots so I don't handload for the one I have now. I stay with the 55 grain SP's, usually Hornady.
I'm shooting the Howa with a 1# Timney trigger, green over molded stock and the Nikon M223 4-14x scope. Nice little rig. I usually have it in the truck all the time except hunting season.
The cartridge is smallish but I've killed a lot of pigs with that caliber. Wounded a few also but I'm not going to let a live pig get away just because my rifle is too small. Once shot one too far back and another forum member shot it later only to find a 55 grain bullet in its haunch. You still need to shoot them in the right place with any caliber but I have confidence in the round.
Our Coyotes are pretty skinny, and might go 15-20 #. Sometimes bigger.
So, its a perfect round for those guys.
Good Luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Whoa first post....

I just use a .22 mag for all my varmint needs so I guess you could say i'm not too serious about it? You can't go wrong with a .223 or .204 though.

I have a CZ 527 Carbine in x39 & really like the little action. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 527 Varmint if I had to.

·
Banned
107 Posts
My favorite is my 1885 Low wall in .223. I mostly shoot 55 gr. Vmax in it. Deadly on Pdogs and coyotes, plus it is pretty light to pack around. I pack it alot in the winter while cross country skiing.:)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't shoot it a whole lot anymore, but I've got a Savage 110e in .223. I load either a 50 gr. Hornady Vmax or 55gr. spitzers from Speer or Sierra.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had a lot of different rifles but I prefer the 223 Rem. Down here, you can get a lot of shots so I don't handload for the one I have now. I stay with the 55 grain SP's, usually Hornady.
I'm shooting the Howa with a 1# Timney trigger, green over molded stock and the Nikon M223 4-14x scope. Nice little rig. I usually have it in the truck all the time except hunting season.
The cartridge is smallish but I've killed a lot of pigs with that caliber. Wounded a few also but I'm not going to let a live pig get away just because my rifle is too small. Once shot one too far back and another forum member shot it later only to find a 55 grain bullet in its haunch. You still need to shoot them in the right place with any caliber but I have confidence in the round.
Our Coyotes are pretty skinny, and might go 15-20 #. Sometimes bigger.
So, its a perfect round for those guys.
Good Luck
I've yet to shoot anything but a target with my .223 but I'm interested in trying some Partitions or Federal Fusions on whitetail.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
I've yet to shoot anything but a target with my .223 but I'm interested in trying some Partitions or Federal Fusions on whitetail.

Well, you opened up another can a worms with that one....:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Banned
326 Posts
Mines a 22 Hornet, but its killed as many deer as varmints. Gotta shoot em in the neck, but most places I hunt 100 yards is a long ways off, so thats no big deal. Tuck it under their ear, and thier DRT.

·
Registered
676 Posts
22LR for most everything but my pet is a 100 year old 25-20. Not a barn burner but fun to shoot and still more accurate than I am as long as I stick to traditional iron sights.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have to say 22-250

Having shot Hornets 222, 223, 22-250, Swift, 243, 6mm and 25-06, for all around, I love the 25-06, but for a straight varmint gun, it's the 22-250. I shot a #1V and a M77 V. :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
.22-250 through 26" barrel, 1 in 12 twist. For me I got to have the 12 twist rate.

As far as bullets, the Sierra blitzking. Good BC and is good for all around varmint use for coyotes on down. Accuracy is phenominal.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ruger Mark I 77V in .220 Swift, topped with a 6-18 Burris.

I shoot both 52 gr. Hornady HPBTM and 50 gr. Ballistic Tips. It's freaky accurate and will tear a 'chuck darned near in half.

On the rimfire side, I've become quite a fan of the 5mm Rem Rim Mag. Have a 591M and a 592M and enjoy them both.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My favorite is a .223 H&R bull-barrel that is super accurate BUT the one that I use the most is a Ruger 10-22 because it is ALWAYS at hand and loaded and is accurate enough out to 100 yd. It has killed deer, wild dogs, coyote, armadillos,rats, nutria, etc

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I shoot a Remington 700 wide forearm with fluted, heavy barrel in 22-250. I put a Nikon Buckmaster 4-18x40 side-focus on it. It likes handloaded Sierra 60gr Varminter HP-flat bullets over 33.5grains of IMR4064.

I was calling for coyotes pretty often last winter but I couldn;t get one to come in, so I've settled for long-distance rabbits :). One I was able to get a head shot on at a paced off 260 yards....give or take a yard or three due to stride error. We don;t have many prairie dogs where I hunt. That might not be a long shot for some of the varminters in here, but for me, I was pretty proud of it that morning!! I've shot a few others, maybe three or five or so, at about 180 yards and under.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,672 Posts
We have a lot of varmits in different sizes and I like to experiment with guns and loads. Might be a .22 rimfire at the low end and it's gone up to the .458 Win mag (ouch!) at the other.

Whatever's laying on the dash of the Bronco.... :D

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I have had a lot of various varmint and predator rifles over the years. Some are bench type rifles that are indeed heavy to tote in the fields but we used for stationary work mostly. Calibers range from the .22WRM, .222 Remington, .22-Hornet, 22-250 etc.

Now days we run both CZ rifles in .222 Rem. also .223 caliber in regular weight hunting rifles under 7.5-lbs. The wife and I have a couple of Savage model 12's in the .204 caliber and 22-250 caliber. I have a wildcat in the 6mm/.308 and a Ruger heavy barrel in the 25-06 caliber. I like Hornady V-Max bullets for P-dogs and small stuff when using the .204 and the .223. I use those Sierra BT bullets for shooting longer distance with the 6mm/08 or the 25-06.

Now the wife has a Ruger Mini-14 in .223 she uses for coyotes and fast follow shots, I have a Belgium Browning in 25-06 I also use sometimes depending on the setup and where we are hunting. We use several weight bullets also and handload our own on the new Hornady Lock N Load AP press with auto case feeder and a Kiss auto bullet feeder. It turns out 850 rounds per hour with no problem.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
My favorites are:

1. .22 Hornet
2. .222 Remington
3. .25-20 Win.
4. .270 (for larger varmints & real long shots).....OUCH my poor ears though!:eek:

·
Banned
103 Posts
i made a 280 yrd shot ,allowing for a 4 inch drop.. hit about half inch under my aimpoint..
i didn t brag at the gun shop that day.nah..:)
to some of you guys that may sound average...but its not for me..

·
Registered
199 Posts
My close range varmint rifle is a Ruger 77/22 mag. (JHP 40gr). For distance, it's another Ruger, M77 .25-06 caliber (PEP's 120 gr)!

I can't beat these for fun and accuracy for varmints!:)

PS.

The Winchester '94 is a fun shoot too, but it blasts the heck out of the varmints!:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts