Shooters Forum banner

Which is your prefered varmint cartridge?

• .204 Ruger

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • .222 Rem

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • .223 Rem

Votes: 25 31.6%
  • .22-250 Rem

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • .220 Swift

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • .243 Win

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 8.9%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a varmint gun in the next little while here, and I was just curious as to which one was every ones favorite, and why? If I missed one, just check other and mention it in your post!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess if I was thinking straight I woulda put a 7mm Rem Mag in there for Tang! :D

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
i ll be watching this post..i need the info also..slim
right now i use a 22 with velocitors..real good out to 150 or so..
but im thinking on out .. just want the knowledge as my shaky hands prevent me from doin the do in field conditions..slim:)
im thinking of selling my cz452..im just not able to get its potential anymore..i ll hate to see it go as anyone that ownes one ..knows what it can do in good steady hands..

·
Registered
486 Posts
i ll be watching this post..i need the info also..slim
right now i use a 22 with velocitors..real good out to 150 or so..
but im thinking on out .. just want the knowledge as my shaky hands prevent me from doin the do in field conditions..slim:)
im thinking of selling my cz452..im just not able to get its potential anymore..
Me too. I have been researching this the last 2 days, as I am looking for a coyote caliber as I want to get more serious at hunting them since our archery deer season closed yesterday. Seems like there are more coyotes around here than deer :eek:

What don't you like about your cz452 Slim? I was looking at those too.
Dan

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
the gun is about as good as a rimfire as ive owned.. the owner is no longer able to reap the benefits of its accuracy .:(just call me shaky slim:)
im considering putting it on trader part of this sight, for as many boxed of boxes of 30 30 hornady leverlution,,as i can get for it... they run 20-23 dollars here..
edit,, by the way ,,i ll make a correction .. mine is the zkm 452 special.. it has iron sights.. i understand the american does have a walnut stock, an no iron sights..sorry about my misconception of what i had..the barrel is 24 inches though according to my tape.. thats not counting the throat..i can t read none of this czeck writing..

·
Registered
330 Posts
I use a .257 roberts with 75grain Sierra HP's, works great for dogs out past 300yards. I keep my rate of fire low as I can heat the barrel up pretty quick.

good luck

GF

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
While the 223 is very good, it runs out of steam past 300 yds. For a do it all varmit gun, the 22-250 is the standard. You can get it in light sporter weight guns or heavy benchrest type guns. I have a Savage 112FVSS-S in 22-250 and it will put 52 grain Speer HPs into tiny clusters all day long. The biggest problem with it is NOT over shooting the crows I aim it at. It shoots so flat that sometimes I hold too high on those pesky Crows. With a good 22-250, no coyote within 500yds is safe and woodchucks and crows are in serious trouble out to as far as you can hit them.

·
Registered
486 Posts
While the 223 is very good, it runs out of steam past 300 yds. For a do it all varmit gun, the 22-250 is the standard. You can get it in light sporter weight guns or heavy benchrest type guns. I have a Savage 112FVSS-S in 22-250 and it will put 52 grain Speer HPs into tiny clusters all day long. The biggest problem with it is NOT over shooting the crows I aim it at. It shoots so flat that sometimes I hold too high on those pesky Crows. With a good 22-250, no coyote within 500yds is safe and woodchucks and crows are in serious trouble out to as far as you can hit them.
I am lucky to be able to see 300 yards, let alone 500 yards here :D
Dan

·
Banned
47 Posts
.22 out to100yds. , .223 from 100 to 300 , and if they are really skiddish , 6.5X55 loaded with 100 grain Sierra Varminters.

·
Registered
571 Posts
And that is why the almighty 22-250 in a decent bolt is my choice. Now, in the woods calling for coyote I'm going with an AR in .223 package and for plinking fun all day....but that 22-250 would come out and put a smackin' on the dogs that think they are safe howling out there at 400yds.:D

·
Banned
415 Posts
Well, right now I TRY to stick to the .223, though occasionally the .270 WSM gets in the way.

I'm looking at getting either a .204 or a .22-250 soon. I think the .204 though.

·
Banned
217 Posts
I have experience with several varmint calibers and I think it comes down to what you plan on hunting and where. Coyotes at 50 yards in the brush require a little different mindset on rifles than ground hogs in open country.
A heavy varmint rifle in 22-250, 6mm, or .25 caliber is great for open fields, but seems a little clumsy in the brush. Been there, done that. It's fine if you rarely get into that situation but not the "best".
50 yard coyotes are perfect for .25-20 and .25-35 lever actions, yet most people do not concider them "varmint rifles" in a classic sense.
OK with that said, Single shot rifles like the TC Encore and Contender as well as the AR style rifles have one advantage over most of the other style rifles. It is very easy to change caliber and/or barrel contour while keeping the same trigger pull and basics of the rifle. (Where the safety is, or does it have a hammer to pull back?) Little things sometimes mean alot.
If you want a bolt action varminter I would suggest a moderately heavy barrel rather than a bull barrel, unless you plan to get into competition.
A mauser type action with a 20 inch bull barrel and beaver tail stock with a bipod is one heavy chunk of gun to haul around, seriously don't get this for your first rifle.
As far as cartridges go Most of the ones the guys have listed are pretty darn good I like the 6mm Rem for a heavy varminter and the .204 Ruger for general varmint work. The .204 Ruger has a lot going for it and may be the best fox round ever.

For a fast handling coyote rifle I have a .223 AR one upper light and the other heavy.
What ever you decide, good hunting!

Regards
Gene

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm a .220 Swift guy through and through. The only thing a .22-250 does better than a Swift is lets you buy ammo at Wal-Mart. I reload for everything, so it's a non-issue.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I'm a .220 Swift guy through and through. The only thing a .22-250 does better than a Swift is lets you buy ammo at Wal-Mart. I reload for everything, so it's a non-issue.
You are correct

·
Registered
486 Posts
For a fast handling coyote rifle I have a .223 AR one upper light and the other heavy.
What ever you decide, good hunting!

Regards
Gene
Have you scoped your AR or are you using the open sights? I have a brand new AR in .223 that is begging to be shot. Close coyote work may be the ticket, but I will need to get smaller clips to stay legal here.
Dan

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I voted for the .204 Ruger. Its a fantastic caliber that delivers 4000+ FPS, cheap shooting (under $20/box if you don't reload, or if you do its as cheap as the .223 to reload - $.30/per round) and the best part is that there is very little recoil - often times you can keep your target in the scope. Mine is superbly accurate.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,516 Posts
Bein's as how I have three .223 bolt guns I figgered I'd better vote that way. I know several people that have .204's and like them. I just can't see much difference myself between a .204 shooting a 40 grain pill and a .223 shooting a 40 grain pill. I doubt that a .204 will out last a .223 when it comes to barrel life. Not many .223's can claim 10,000 rounds, but my old worn out 788 has AT LEAST that many and still shoots sub moa groups.

RJ

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Unless you're in a dog town with heads by the hundreds, nothing beats the varmint-hunting versatility of the .243 Winchester. With your choice of excellent varmint-weight bullets for very high velocity or truly long-range wind-bucking capability, the only liability this gun has is if you're into some shooting that is fast n' furious. Some of the 25's can reach out a bit further, but in my mind, they only achieve that at the cost of just a little too much recoil for a long day of shooting.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts