Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 23 Posts

· Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a varmit rifle for the first time in my life. I usually stick to the lever action boomers but my shoulder and dental work need a rest. I was sold on a 22-250, probably in a Remmington 700. But what about a 243 WSM or a 221 fireball or a ?????? I occasionaly get my hands on my wife's 243 but would like my own.

Your thoughts will be appreciated!

· Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! You have given me some great info to chew on. I will likely go with a reasonably light gun as I will be mobile and probably not shoot more than 100 at a time. I am not sure of the distances. With the big bore Marlins I usually use it is up close and personal. This 3-400 yard stuff will be a new and fun experience.

Will also look more seriously at the levers as I would hate to ruin my reputation for being an old dinosaur!

THANKS AGAIN!

· Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Good point 2bits. I have a Ruger#1 with a bull barrel on order at the local gun store. I found a good deal on a 22-250 in a Browning BLR. I suspect for a long day at the bench the Ruger will hold up better.

1 - 3 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.