Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I saw an article where someone compared velocities achieved with different powders & charges. Anyone have that? I lost the info due to the untimely death of my old computer.
Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent. Can you (in general) use the same amount of fff as you would of ff? This is a TC Cherokee, .45 cal for 4H tournaments. Max powder she can use is 60 grains.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
3f powder in almost all cases will produce a little more velocity then 2f powder. The way to use 3f is cut the load down to compensate for the additional velocity. In a .45 caliber I would shoot 3f powder. The smaller the bore the faster they foul. you can get around this a little by using a faster burning powder. To speed the burning rate, you need to normally have a hotter ignition source, or a small grain powder. So 3f would be the choice for a .45. Although I do shoot 2f in some of my .45 caliber inline rifles.

As for the max charge, in the T/C manual for .45 caliber round ball shooting, it shows 90 grains as the max charge in FFg powder. This is for the Cherokee and the Seneca model rifles. So if I were shooting 3f powder I would limit my loads with a round ball to 80 grains. With conicals the max load is 80 grains of FFg. My friend has hunted with a .45 caliber shooting roundball for many years. He shoots 80 grains of 3f powder and claims the ball will get a complete pass through on most the white tail he has shot with it. (which is quite a few).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts