Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Glock 44 for my wife as a defense weapon. I was able to find some CCI Velocitor rounds in a LGS very fairly priced for this day and age.

I am not familiar with the super HV 22 rds, I shoot mostly match built/grade .22lr and my barrels are stamped saying to not use Stinger ammo and from what I recall are Laney Chambers. I have a Ruger 10/22 with a KSA HB, a SW MP15-22 PC, and a SW22 Victory PC.

Hence, is a Velocitor a standard .22lr case or is it similar to Stinger? Will it function fine in a Glock? Or should that be avoided? For now the only HP bullets I have are Federal 36gr CPHP @ 1260fps. I rather have a punch of a Velocitor if the gun can handle it.

Thanks, AJ

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,963 Posts
1) is a Velocitor a standard .22lr case?
2) Will it function fine in a Glock?
1) Yes
2) should, but we don't have your pistol; so you tell us.;)

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) Yes
2) should, but we don't have your pistol; so you tell us.;)

Cheers
I mean function as in safe, not harmful to the gun. I know someone that has a Ruger LCP for carry loaded up with Velocitors. G44s have issues with feeding and reliability with certain rounds. From what I read Velocitors are normal .22lr where Stinger is somewhat longer case.

Glock 44 is a fun little gun, it is my wife's but I take it to the Action Rifle/Pistol shoots at my club and have a blast with it paired with my MP15-22. Loads cheaper than 223/9mm.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,963 Posts
1) I mean function as in safe, not harmful to the gun. 2) G44s have issues with feeding and reliability with certain rounds.
3) From what I read Velocitors are normal .22lr where Stinger is somewhat longer case.
1) It is presumed with firearms, that having an explosion is universally frowned upon. Yes, they should be perfectly fine. If you're that worried about them, then don't shoot them.
2) As to all firearms, that's not unique.
3) So you asked a question that you already knew the answer to?😉

To your concerns:
Stingers are problematic for many tighter match chambers, the Bentz chambers I run don't work with them. However they aren't running scary higher pressures, so assuming the dimensions work for a gun, you can safely shoot them.

Velocitors claim of "200fps, and your wife will still love you" isn't a comment of pressure, it's marketing magic to get you to buy them. But their pressures are perfectly fine for that Glock.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have a G44 with about 1k rounds through it. For a rimfire it's as reliable as can be with the ammo it likes. Only issue with mine has been subsonic and 36 gr bullet profiles. It doesn't like to feed the 36 gr reliably. Mine will eat CCI blazer Mini mags and most all std vel ammo that I've tried. I've also shot mine in our clubs speed steel matches.
The only way you will know is load up and shoot them. And I mean several magazines to make sure they are reliable.

I bought one of the Pro Mag 18 round magazines for mine. I know a few others that have them as well and we've had good luck with them as long as you pay attention to loading detail.
As far as carrying for a self defense gun it's a matter of choice. But not mine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for the responses and advice which I appreciate.

My wife is not capable of controlling much more than a .22 and like the arthritic elder members of our club that I am starting to rapidly approach myself, they carry lighter sidearms these days, one recommend the Ruger LCP with Velocitors. I carry a MP9 Shield EZ 2.0 myself and yes it was repaired on the recall. Being .22lr and ammo has a wide degrees of variances, behavior and reliability, I fully understand G44s have feed and reliability issues with certain ammos, and I have run Aguila, CCI, Federal, Remington through it at the steel plate shoot and action rifle/pistol and use the Pro Mags and not had any feed or misfire issues yet. My SW22 Victory PC and MP15-22 PC have trouble with Aguilar mostly stovepipes and misfire. And I stated that as I had a chance to get some in the shortages we see today, but felt it not worth it to fill the gap of a HV HP round for self defense.

I don't hunt so and I use either CCI STD-V for most of my rimfire applications or competitions. My concern is the three firearms I own with Laney Chambers explicit have stamped on the barrels do not use Stinger. I never seen a Stinger or Velocitor prior to other than what is on the CCI website. I have an elder gentlemen at my club and he recommended getting a Ruger LCP and load it up with Velocitors. I got the G44 at a good price and serves as my needs for action pistol and my wife's PDW.

CCI STD-V and Mini Mags are the best all around, and use both for long range rimfire silhouette and hit those rams at 200 yds with my custom 10/22 20" HBAR or Remington 541-s, just as well as the others with their Vudoos and CZs using Eley and Lapua. I use Wolf Target a lot too. That is what my guns like. I tested a whole bunch CCI and Wolf float to the top. The old Wolf made in German was the best, the newer stuff from Eley/UK seems to do well.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,963 Posts
Not sure of that specific chamber, but to give you an idea of what happens.

In my Bentz chambers, when they are clean. Stingers usually fit, but someone's stand a little proud out of the chamber. Firing them, then sticks them in the chamber. Needing a cleaning rod to tap them out.

I would expect some similar variation on your other chambers. Really not a dangerous ordeal, just a plain in the keaster, to waste range time with a jammed gun.

Cheers

Reactions: jimboro and ajn1963

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Laney seems to be common on SW Performance Center models, the KSA 20 HBAR I have on my Ruger also has a Laney Chamber. I really have no need for Stinger or Velocitor other than self defense.

I was just happy that there was some form of .22lr ammo available. And even more happy that it was Velocitor.

Have not seen any CCI ammo since June. Usually the store I get it from at fair prices has shelves of CCI STDV and Mini Mags. Occasionally I can find Aquila. Which I would avoid if I had other choices.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,457 Posts
I seriously doubt a Glock chamber will be anything approaching 'match' dimensions... but you never know.

My go-to for anything in .22 LR is CCI Min-Mags. HP or round nose, your choice. Whether there would be enough velocity to expand them out of a short pistol barrel, I don't know. A little testing would be in order.

A box of anything, to verify reliable function, would be in order.

You might have to just use whatever you can find, or already have, at the current time. Good luck......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I seriously doubt a Glock chamber will be anything approaching 'match' dimensions... but you never know.

My go-to for anything in .22 LR is CCI Min-Mags. HP or round nose, your choice. Whether there would be enough velocity to expand them out of a short pistol barrel, I don't know. A little testing would be in order.

A box of anything, to verify reliable function, would be in order.

You might have to just use whatever you can find, or already have, at the current time. Good luck......
I just want this gun to send out the best smack cookie that can be delivered.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,457 Posts
Throwing it may help in that regard ;)

Seriously.... "smack cookie" and .22 LR..... may be mutually exclusive. It ain't gonna be Dirty Harry's .44 mag, ever......

I'd worry about reliable before I worried about bullet performance, personally. Best of luck.......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Throwing it may help in that regard ;)

Seriously.... "smack cookie" and .22 LR..... may be mutually exclusive. It ain't gonna be Dirty Harry's .44 mag, ever......

I'd worry about reliable before I worried about bullet performance, personally. Best of luck.......
Thank you all for the advice. I would take a .22lr over nothing and if a .22 is all that is available I will take 1400+ fps CPHP over 1070 fps LRN.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You might want to check out a couple of youtube videos either posted by 22 plinkster, or Paul Harrell. can't remember which one did a penetration and expansion test on 22 ammo for self defense. But in any event the results may lead you in a different direction for a carry load in 22lr.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,963 Posts
Luckygunner.com has Ballistics and video clips of all the ammo they sell.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Back in the day, when I managed gun stores, we all carried 9mm or 45s and there were several loaded ex-police 38 Special revolvers stashed in convenient locations---even a 12 gauge or two available... I carried a Browning Hi Power and later, an HK USP---still, in my back pocket lived a tiny little stainless Walther TPH 22LR "surprise"---this little gun functioned 100% with CCI Stingers and that was what it was loaded with---shot directly to point of aim too... I liked it so much, I bought another when a minty used example came in the shop---same results as the first one... Still have them both and often slip one into my pocket when watering my property...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Weather is cooling here in Tn. So it's time to walk the property and the G 44 loaded with stingers is in my pocket

1 - 17 of 17 Posts