Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There may be better stew recipes out there but this one is so simple and quick to throw together. Take about a pound of venison cut into small chunks, a couple of carrots cut into rounds, a few red potatoes cut into chunks, and some celery cut into small pieces. Put it all in a crock pot and pour in a quart of beef broth, and salt and pepper to your liking. Turn the crock pot on high until it all gets warm and then stir in a packet of brown gravy mix. Turn the pot down to low heat and let it simmer for a several hours. This literally takes just a few minutes to make if you already got everything cut up and its some pretty good eating. If you like your stew with a thicker broth you could add two packets of gravy mix but I just use one. This is a good one to do around lunch time so it will be ready when you come in from the afternoon hunt.

·
Banned
157 Posts
Man that sounds basic and good. I like spices to get it going would add garlic onions and other seasons. thanks for sharing!

·
Banned
674 Posts
Same basic recipe except I use rutabagas or turnips in place of potatoes and I use as many parsnips as I do carrots. Just a matter of taste.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I sometimes marinate the venison overnight in red wine and brown before adding to the crock pot and also throw in some frozen peas, limas, and string beans in addition to the potatoes, onions and carrots. But no 2 stews are ever made exactly the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This sounds delicious. I have a lot of deer left from last season. I will give it a whirl and post a review.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Nice Recipe must try it.? I would cook some Egg Noodle Pasta,? And pour the stew right over the Noodles & Enjoy. Thanks for the Recipe. If using the Noodles.? I would leave out the Potatoes from the Stew.? I would add in some fresh Mushrooms & a bag of Pearl Onions. Going to try this in my Cast Iron Dutch Oven, On top of my Wood Burning Stove.? And give my Crock pot a rest.?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Check out the YOUTUBE BAR B Q PIT BOYS. videos for their Venison Stew & Venison Chilli's.? They are Fantastic.? Done in the Cast Iron Dutch oven on the Charcoal grill.? These guys have some nice recipes.? For what ever you are thinking about grilling etc.?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Did this yesterday and added some onion and garlic then thickened it with a little flour and water at the end. Took about 20 min prep time is all then cooked 6 hrs. Very good !

·
Premium Member
8,639 Posts
Check out the YOUTUBE BAR B Q PIT BOYS. videos for their Venison Stew & Venison Chilli's.? They are Fantastic.? Done in the Cast Iron Dutch oven on the Charcoal grill.? These guys have some nice recipes.? For what ever you are thinking about grilling etc.?
All of the stuff those guys do makes my mouth water. I still have a brisket in the freezer I need to fix up in their style.

The venison stew sounds good, but most of my venison gets roasted or fried/grilled any odd bits or offcuts get put in a game pie. HOWEVER !!!! I might break with tradition and give your suggestion a try because it sounds good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts