Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum and fairly new to casting. Currently, I cast with a large propane furnace outdoors under a barely adequate cover (light rain is OK, as long as it is not horizontal). I would like to make a ventilated hood for casting indoors. This hood would have to be very effective at pulling all the gasses/smoke out of the room or I will really catch heck from my family. Do you have a similar set-up? I am looking for any input or advice, I would hate to have to build more than one to get it right! Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Jsirm,
I have inhaled tons of lead fumes,over the last 50 years,so I now have to be careful.
My casting room is in the cellar. My workbench covers almost an entire wall,with the melting pot placed directly in front of the window.Two fans,on the window sill,eject all of the fumes from the pot.
A window at my left rear has a fan blowing back,behind me (to the rear of the room).An outside door,to my right rear has fan blowing in to the room,also.
I start all the fans when I start to melt the lead.That insures that the air motion has stableized in the room before I start to cast bullets.
I Never have a problem with fumes.
You do'nt need a hood.
Frank

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
If you intend to run your propane furnace indoors if I'm reading you right, I would recommend the ventilation amount like Frank has. If that is impractical, you should consider a type of fan forced exhaust hood because you are also ventilating products of combustion of the propane.

A hood made from sheet metal or plywood lined with sheet metal in higher heat areas should do well. Pick up a bathroom ventilation fan or two from Home Depot and adapt it into the hood.

You must also introduce outside air to the room to cause the "air change". Otherwise you are accomplishing nothing. An open window will suffice.

Regards

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you check the MCCarr Master or Grainger catalog you can find wall mounted exhaust fans that built self closing louvers. if you install 2 units you can create a cross air flow that will draw out all of the fumes safely. I have had to install this type system for oxygen storage rooms and chemical mixing rooms to keep the occupants safe.

·
Super Moderator
13,339 Posts
The last post before yours in this thread was almost 18 years ago. Not much chance the OP is paying attention to it any longer. If you created a new thread on the topic, you'd get more interest. Zombie threads usually don't get much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts