Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this has come up at least once before. I cant decide between .357 or .45LC. Im not worried about the cost because I am soon to be reloading. I really like the "authenticity" of the .45 LC but I just think a .357 would be more practical if I am going to bee shooting ALOT. I want to hear you all to tell me that I should go for the .45 but I need to hear your honest opinions about them both. Im somewhat worried that a new vaquero in .45 will live a shorter life because of its thinner chambers and barrel...?

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
In all honesty, I think you're trying to be a little TOO logical, here. With prudent handloads, you can ensure a long and useful life for your pistol, regardless of which cartridge you want. What makes the 357 more "practical"? Do you say that because it has less recoil, uses a little less powder, can shoot 38's as well, is a newer cartridge? None of that matters a whit, if you're handloading.

It all comes down to what you'll use the gun for, but if that's anything from CAS competition, to plinking, to self-defense, there isn't a strong reason to choose one over the other. Go with what ya like! :)

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
Agree, you cannot lose here. I got a .45 Colt as I love that caliber. No I want to get a .357. If you are going to join SASS I believe most of those guys shoot low power .38 but you can make low power .45s as well. There is a small difference in price between the two rounds, bullets are more more as they are bigger and more powder. 3 to 5 cent differene per bullet and about the same in powder. The .45 Colt is a beautiful thing. The new Vaquero is can take about 20 k psi which is enough for me. It cannot take "Ruger only" loads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.45 New Vaquero - normal weight.

.357 New Vaquero - heavy weight.

OK Thanks for all the input. I guess I wasnt realizing that if I am hand loading, there is no practicality of one caliber over another.

.357 being a heavier gun also leads me away because I would like to get good at gun twirling. A lighter gun seems like a better idea for that.

.45 it is!

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
There is very little difference in weight which is essentially due to larger holes in the .45 cylinder and barrel. Four ounces - not enough to notice when you are over 2 1/2 pounds in the first place.
http://ruger.com/products/vaqueroStainless/models.html
Regardless, you can't go wrong and nothing beats a .45 Colt.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Aside from the weight of the gun not changing much, based on the cartridge, speed and proficiency with twirling (to each his own :rolleyes: ) is not going to be influenced by how heavy or light the gun is. It's all about how much you practice. As for me, I'll stick to actually shootin guns! ;)

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Ive got 4 5/8th inch barreled Blackhawks in .45 Colt and .357. Weight difference is negligible. Have to look to be sure which is which and count screws.

Loading for the .357 isnt expensive but neither is loading cast bullets for the .45colt, especially those I cast myself.

·
Inactive
78 Posts
The .45 COLT is the way to go.....it is the essence of the SAA handgun....it is also a VERY GOOD caliber for the world of CowBoy Action Shooting......use a 255gr cast bullet, enough Unique to get about 850 fps and have fun. That puts you close to what the original .45 Colt cartridge was for fps and the recoil is NOT excessive. Long Live the .45 COLT!

·
Inactive account
263 Posts
I have the 45Colt...

Starline cases and Trailboss powder (Max) and 200g lead bullets...

NO recoil

you can shoot that as fast as anything...

The componets are not hard to get and the brass will last a long time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought new Vaqueros in 45 colt for CAS.I dont regret it.The 45's cost a little more to reload versus the 38.If your going to go all out for speed in CAS,most switch to the 38 spl.I think most can be a touch faster with the 38's.You can load the 45 way down or you can pep it up quite a bit.It's very flexible.For CAS you can also get the 45 Cowboy brass which is 45 colt made to 45 acp case length.Adirondack Jack sells them.The Rugers are tough guns and they will take the punishment of competition and not loosen up.No worries there.I shoot Frontier Cartridge CAS with mine.

·
Inactive account
336 Posts
Most people that get into CAS buy 45 Colt, and most of them if they enjoy the sport and are at all competetive, switch to 357/38 special, and some even go to 32 H&R's. The smaller caliber guns don't have the same recoil as a 45 Colt, so they can be shot faster. But, to some shooters they just want to have fun and don't care if they are the slowest when the scores are called out at the end of a match. The last thing I would buy is 38-40 or 44-40 because they are not popular and are hard to sell if you should ever sell them You will find 45 Colts usually sell for a bit less than 357/38 special, when you are buying a used gun. I have revolvers in several different calibers, 357/38's are what I use, sometimes I use 45 Colts, depends on what SASS catagory I shoot. Here are a few of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
If you start into CASS with the 45LC Ruger you'll soon realize you made a mistake and then you'll buy one in 357mag.
and why is that? I shoot CASS, and I shoot a 45colt. I'm not looking to become the next "Evil Roy", I'm looking for fun and authenticity.

The 45 is also much better for double duty in the hunting fields than the 357. I carry my old model Vaquero every season hoping for a 25-30yd shot for it. I already killed a buck with my model 92 cowboy gun.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,246 Posts
I to was trying to decide which Vaquero to buy. After looking at all the loading data and available bullet selections available for reloading, I went with a Vaquero 4 5/8 in 44 Special. My 44 SP has about the same recoil as a 357 mag but a lot bigger bullet. I can use the same bullets in the Special as I use in my 44 Mag. The 44 SP cases are a lot thicker than the 45 LC and should last a lot longer. Just my $.02 worth. Buy what you desire and shoot the heck out of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.