Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Even though they don't believe it, the guys who came home are heros just as much as those that didn't.

Thanks to all that sacrificed, no matter how litte.

Without you guys.......

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Thanks to the guys/gals who have served before, alongside, and after me. May God watch over you and bring those still deployed home safe.

CD

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
My ability to shoot, hunt and fish as I do today was paid for by the service and blood of veterans. I personally want to say thank you to all present and past soldiers, sailors and airmen.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Even heroes have heroes.

One of my fellow FACs was flying the OV-10 Bronco when a surface-to-air missile hit his left engine. The resulting explosion and fire shredded the parachute of his Marine backseater and made the plane almost uncontrollable. He managed to get out over the South China Sea and away from further ground fire.

Knowing that if they ejected, his backseater would be killed. But if the Bronco is ditched, it is always fatal to the frontseater.

Calmly and coolly, he ditched. The backseater made it.

Capt. Steven Bennet - MOH

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,129 Posts
To all my buddies that went before - God Bless!

·
Banned
103 Posts
to all veterans ..we here at home can t imagine how it would be to go on patrol ,knowing just yesterday one of your buddies didn t come back..knowing that same sniper may have you in his crosshairs today....words don t say enough..but thank you..

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I ain't got the words, thanks guys...

Semper Fi .....

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Pawpaw, you have no idea - and you may thank whatever goddess you please that it is so.

There is a reason why armies the world over consist mainly of 18-year-olds who believe they are immortal and cannot conceive of dying. Because a man with the rational thought of maturity would never do such a thing as combat.

It may have been John Wayne who said, "Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." I can absofrickinglutely vouch for that.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I spent the day thinking about the veterans in the 20th century that served, almost got killed, and came back to be presidents. JFK and Bush #41.

Bush #41 could have easily been lost to history if not for the submarine searching for him and our attitude of trying not to leave anyone behind.

I have read a small bit about Truman and WWI and how he held the line on the line. I am glad he was the one to end WWII. He desegregated the military in 1947 and helped create Israel in 1948. Very few Americans will ever come close to filling that small veteran's shoes.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Thanks to all. And thanks to all that support these brave men and women. The best of the best is close but not enough to say what these fine folks are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have a problem with veterans day

usaf 4 years em 1959-1963

there is very real danger glorifying war--i have worked in VA hospitals , prisoners of war some from Korea , lots of Vietnan vets and severely disabled. Also some very beautiful ww2 vets--i could tell you some of their stories--and i know you know some too, we really owe out vets all we got--but keep in mind the danger of glorifying it all--learned about this from a Omaha beach vet who survived it all and refused to participate in any vet day stuff--( like myself) --but not out of disrespect

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I just returned from a week in Branson Mo. where Vetrans Day is observed in remembrance of those Vetrans who fought and died for our way of life, It is not a time of celebration, but a time of remembrance of those from all the wars our country has participted in who did not return to their loved ones, and paid the ultimate price for our freedoms.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts