Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone picked up one of the MILSURP S&W Victory handguns in .38 S&W yet. Since I just started loading this caliber the gun interests me. I like it's looks and I bet they shoot good.

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
Not one of the new imports, but do shoot an older one. The finsish can vary with both blue and parked revolvers beeing seen, but in genral there is more holster wear than firing wear.

Pretty easy to load for once you get bullets to match the bore (usually about .360" but better to measure). Loading data is published and so long as you don't try to magnumize the little round, it does a good job.

·
Banned
739 Posts
Years ago I had nice one. It was an early version with all the appropriate proof marks, but with a nice civilian finish on it.
It was all original with the 6" barrel.

I solved the bullet and load problem by using 231 powder data straight from the Winchester manual, and substituting a 148 gr HB WC seated to the correct overall length instead of the 146gr RN that I couldn't find any of.
It shot great, the hollow base opened up to fill the groves on the .360 barrel. Accuracy was very good.
I even experimented by turning the HBWC around backwards. In soft dirt, sand or anything it would really expand.
I sold it to a friend who refused later to sell it back.
So now where do you get the milsurps like yours?

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
Good advice from J. Miller. Most of my shooting is with 148gr. HBWC's lased to the same length as when I load them in .38specials...just that in the .38SW 1/3 the bullet is still outside the case. Loaded this way, the internal volume is the same...so the pressure of that light WC load is the same (and the standard 2.7gr. of Bullseye load is well under the max. of the .38SW). Makes things simple, the pistols all shoot it well, and the bullets are dirt cheap.

The HB will expand and show full rifling marks. The bullet will be engraved for it's length, but a bit more lightly at the nose...but accuracy has been first rate, and it's an easy way to get a .38SW shooting.

In US made revolvers, find the 148gr.HBWC load shoots to nearly the same point as factory .38SW's...it's the British guns that are usually sighted in for the old 200gr. or the FMJ 180gr. bullets and will shoot low with the lighter bullets (although some shoot fine with the 148gr. load...it's worth a try if you've an old Webley at hand).

Would be best to have a .38SW die set..the shorter .38SW case is larger in diameter than the .38specail.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked up the little H&R at a local gun shop while looking for an SP101. I have seen the Victorys around on the net. Allan's Armory is a good site but his are higher priced because he selects and checks all bores.

I have already loaded some 148 gr. Hornady HBWC over a small dose of Green Dot in a starline case. It is good to know that this should be a good round.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I have a feeling I may be carrying this gun a lot in an ankle holster.

Chris----Thanks for the rounds.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not seriously looking anymore. I will probably be on the look out for a 38 service revolver now or possibly a 45 auto. I am new to this self defense thing so I need to slow down a bit. I think the little H&R is going to fill the bill for the little concealable, that is of coarse I can learn to put the bullet where I aim with it under close quarter combat conditions. I may pick up a Victory for fun since I now load for that cartridge.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Nice looking S&W... always a good idea to go slow and do the research, especially if you are going to spend the hard earned dollars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts