Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
Mid to late '40s matches the box design. You know the 32-40 is different than the 32 Special used in the Model 94, right?

Reactions: Davers

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i do these will never be shot but paired with a mod 94 32-40 circa 1904 in a wall display along with a mod 97 of approx same age

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
That's my point. The Winchester 1894 is a 32 Special, not a 32-40. The idea is a good one, but you really need an old Stevens Walnut Hill target rifle in the same case. Maybe a shad belly Ballard, too :)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The model 1894 Winchester was initially chambered in 38-55 and 32-40 black powder cartridges, with the 30-30, 32 Special, and 25-35 coming along a year later as smokeless loads.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's my point. The Winchester 1894 is a 32 Special, not a 32-40. The idea is a good one, but you really need an old Stevens Walnut Hill target rifle in the same case. Maybe a shad belly Ballard, too :)
Winchester made both .32-40 and .32 Winchester Special. The .32-40 was a black powder cartridge. The .32 Win Spl was a smokeless cartridge that could also be used with black powder. The .32 Win Spl rifles had very deep rifling to accommodate the additional fouling of a black powder cartridge, but was factory loaded as a smokeless round. The Special was a weird cartridge that only made sense for a few years, when smokeless was taking over, but people still had tons of black powder on hand.. After that, it's just a less accurate .30-30.

·
Registered
550 Posts
That is an old "non corrosive" "non erosive" Remington in red three digit box R203. Not sure about this, but my guess is it was made before 1942. Boxes after 1946 had four numbers, the first two load type and the second two, the caliber, so if that was made after 46 the last two numbers would be 32.
I had some older boxes laying around to hold spent brass for years and my son sold them on eBay. I do not know what it is worth, maybe you can sell it for a full new box of 30-30?
Yes, it is an old round used back when reloaders still used black powder only

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 32-40 only came out in 1884.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts