Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Police in Small Wisconsin City Want Residents to Volunteer to Have Their Homes Searched for Guns | TheBlaze.com

Beloit Police Ask Residents To Volunteer To Have Their Homes Searched For Guns | Wisconsin Public Radio

Police in Beloit, Wisconsin, want residents to volunteer to let officers search their homes for firearms as part of a new initiative that officials believe will help reduce gun violence.
That being said, the police chief admitted he isn’t anticipating a stampede of residents eager to have their homes searched.
:confused: Huh? Who would want this done to their home? It's getting stupid out there guys.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Walt 45,

You ALWAYS post the "Good Stuff."

As an old retired federal agent, I know Police Work is EASY ONLY in a Police State! I would suggest the Police Read the Constitution, especially the 4th and 5th Amendments. ONLY upon a duly sworn Search Warrant Served during hours of daylight would they get into my home. NO Voluntary "FISHING EXPEDITION" would ever occur in my home. IF the cops want to "Go Fishing", FIRST they got to go to Walmart, pay $19.99 for a rod and reel and then GO look for a creek!

Webley

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
I have a door mat on the front porch of our brick home, it says "COME BACK WITH A WARRANT" and I mean those words exactly. The back porch has the same foot mate down also.

Animal control lately seems to think, they can stop by our place anytime they feel like doing so. I have made it clear in court to the Judge, they are not welcome at my place. They exterminate as many animals as they say they save etc!!! Just like the Humane Society, they are nothing more than a Group of "money makers" who use this practice to sponge money off the public, for their own personal little projects.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
You all missed the real point here. This is aimed not at the owner of the guns but other people who reside in that home who are "uncomfortable" with guns in the house. Now they can just call the cops to come and get those evil guns out of the house.

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
You all missed the real point here. This is aimed not at the owner of the guns but other people who reside in that home who are "uncomfortable" with guns in the house. Now they can just call the cops to come and get those evil guns out of the house.
Interesting. I didn't read the links, but in the interest of a hypothetical, who 'owns' the house in question, subject to 'voluntary' search? Property owner? Mortgage holder? Landlord? Renter? And is it really 'voluntary', if a call is made?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
You really think the cops would care to ask that question ? (who is the home owner?) It could come into play in legal procedings after the guns have been confiscated, then at that point the cops would then want the gun owner to prove ownership of said guns before they are returned to him. (had that happen to me here) This opens up a whole new can of worms. The anti's I've seen so far could care less what is legal in the war on gun owners.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
This is ridiculous. 2bits I like your doormats and I feel the same way you do on the subject. I'm with baddad457 on this one the ones that would ask is not the ones to be worried about. An example, about 6 weeks ago a county deputy came down my road (I live on a dead end). Asked if I was ####### address I say nope. Then next he started aiming his flashlight in my window. I say what the he double hockey sticks are you doing he just shrugged it off. Then he sees my brand new 454 sitting on my couch. He says what's that I say a legally purchased firearm. He says mind if I run the serial #? I say absolutely not and ask him to leave but, I want your badge #. Then he proceeds to scribble my licence plate down by this time I'm pissed and say I want your supervisor here now. He jumped in his car and left with no info for me. This guy could care less about our rights. I know their are good cops out their but, their is plenty of bad ones that really make it hard for the good ones to do their job. This kind of behavior makes the public standoffish to the police what a shame.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I hope you called and reported that douchebag to his supervisor. We used to have a gung-ho police chief in the town I live just outside of. He was always doing questionable things in the name of the law. Last I heard he was doing time for one of those practices. Or had just got out. His kid turned out to be a child molester. These people they hire need to have psyche evaluations before they're allowed to serve.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
It isn't the cops. It's the legislators and Mayor and other city "managers". The police are no more than the tools to get it done.

- the power to authorize a consent search of a home can be given by any person living in that home that has permission to be and reside there (owners, adult children, permanent guests, renters, etc.). A "room" renter might be an exception.

- if a police officer asks for consent and a home owner gives it to them, where's the problem? Not with the police. It's with the idiot that gave consent. The officer is doing what he's told to do. It's lawful and within his statutory authority.

- if, with consent, an officer searches and seizes an item that he is not entitled to lawfully seize, then sooner rather than later there will be a cease and desist order from a judge.

It's not the officers. It's the commies we elect to govern and the idiots who would grant them their wishes.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is ridiculous. 2bits I like your doormats and I feel the same way you do on the subject. I'm with baddad457 on this one the ones that would ask is not the ones to be worried about. An example, about 6 weeks ago a county deputy came down my road (I live on a dead end). Asked if I was ####### address I say nope. Then next he started aiming his flashlight in my window. I say what the he double hockey sticks are you doing he just shrugged it off. Then he sees my brand new 454 sitting on my couch. He says what's that I say a legally purchased firearm. He says mind if I run the serial #? I say absolutely not and ask him to leave but, I want your badge #. Then he proceeds to scribble my licence plate down by this time I'm pissed and say I want your supervisor here now. He jumped in his car and left with no info for me. This guy could care less about our rights. I know their are good cops out their but, their is plenty of bad ones that really make it hard for the good ones to do their job. This kind of behavior makes the public standoffish to the police what a shame.
I hope you called and reported that douchebag to his supervisor. We used to have a gung-ho police chief in the town I live just outside of. He was always doing questionable things in the name of the law. Last I heard he was doing time for one of those practices. Or had just got out. His kid turned out to be a child molester. These people they hire need to have psyche evaluations before they're allowed to serve.

Yup. Its hard to be a cop these days. Hard not being a cop too. I get really worried about articles like this. If we can't count on the people that uphold the law then what can we do?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
It isn't the cops. It's the legislators and Mayor and other city "managers". The police are no more than the tools to get it done.

- the power to authorize a consent search of a home can be given by any person living in that home that has permission to be and reside there (owners, adult children, permanent guests, renters, etc.). A "room" renter might be an exception.

- if a police officer asks for consent and a home owner gives it to them, where's the problem? Not with the police. It's with the idiot that gave consent. The officer is doing what he's told to do. It's lawful and within his statutory authority.

- if, with consent, an officer searches and seizes an item that he is not entitled to lawfully seize, then sooner rather than later there will be a cease and desist order from a judge.

It's not the officers. It's the commies we elect to govern and the idiots who would grant them their wishes.
Ultimately it is the cop who's there to do the job to decide what's right and wrong (or what takes place and/or what doesn't). And as I illustrated before, once the item in question is in the custody of the law enforcement agency, that does not guarantee you'll get it back easily. So don't say that it's not the cop on the scene who's at fault.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I read through the articles (thanks for posting Walt, oddly I hadn't heard anything about this even though I listen to WPR as my primary radio station) and it looks like they just want to big brother the crap out of their community.

Talk about kids altering toys to shoot bullets and young men needing to get higher education. Any child that can turn a toy into a safe firearm could probably teach the rest of us a thing or two.

Our education system is beneficial because it teaches people things like trades and how to read and some other useful things but they also do their best to brainwash anyone who doesn't know better. In the time I spend at college I had to admit I was both racist and sexist which makes me sound like a bigot but it really wasn't the case. Its not that I hate colored people or women I just think they are better and worse in certain areas. My instructors could not wrap their mind around that concept and its that type of close minded thinking they instill upon our youths. They are too quick to slap a label on something and call it a day without attempting to understand the why's.

But back to the topic at hand, I think its BS. I've been to Beloit and it is basically Wisconsin's California. I'm not surprised they would come up with something like that.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is extremely accurate, but that doesn't mean cops wont use there position to forward their viewpoint. Take this article for example; Here’s What Happened When a Texas Police Officer Confronted an Open Carry Advocate and Thought Nobody Else Was Watching | Video | TheBlaze.com.

“You are going to jail for failure to ID because you can’t tell me who you are, you can’t prove who you are. I’m tired of you idiots coming out here,” the officer said.
Thats a quote FROM THE OFFICER! The officer didn't like the fact that the man was open-carrying and tried to find a reason to arrest him. This is happening in Texas. :(

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Referring to two or three earlier posts - I agree completely with you men that there are police out there who are an exception to the rule. I mean to say only that, as a rule, if it's unlawful, police are not going to try to enforce it. Otherwise, they are not police but rather criminals and they can be arrested and tried.

I've known an officer or two in my career that was arrested on criminal charges, indicted, and convicted. They're not cops anymore nor were they when comitting the crime. Even a young rookie officer or agent is not going to accept an unlawful order from a superior. An internal investigation will commence almost immediately (which is why it's done only as....an exception to the rule.

We really have to look at what really happened in Walt's post about Beloit, WI: A police chief (hired or appointed by city commissioners (duly elected by Beloit residents) wants residents to call in if they want their homes searched. Let's remember that a police chief is a politician, much like a cabinet member who serves at the whim of his "appointer". Knowing police, I can;t imagine there are very many Beloit police officers who are not laughing inside at this nonsense. They're snickering and giggling (save the few exceptions to the rule).

Also, it's about residents calling in to police, not a door-to-door knock and talk, and request for consent to search. Imagine this phone call from one of the few, if any, that might call in:

"Yes. This is Joe Meekling at 345 East 4th. Can you send an officer or two out to my house to search for guns? I have no overt suspicion that any of those evil things are in here, but then again, I really have no idea what's in my own home at all, anyway. Maybe they could search for any illegal bird feathers while they're here?"

----Now, if I'm a city cop, and I get get dispatched to the Meekling residence, I might be telling my partner "Let's go. Some imbecile wants us to search his home". Guaranteed, stories will be told and laughter shared later over coffee in the muster room. And you men would be in there drinking coffee and laughing right along telliung your story of the other idiot. who called in for someone to come out and search their house. "How is it these people think we can come in and do a better job searching their own home than they could???"

I suppose my point is this: If "jack-booted cops" were kicking in doors and seizing weapons, I'd be concerned and up-in-arms. But if an idiot doesn;t know what's in his home, and wants to give away anything the police find, well.... I'm ok with that.

Reactions: Ukelay13
1 - 20 of 42 Posts