Shooters Forum banner

Which scope is a better big game hunting scope?

• Leupold VX-II

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Bushnell 4200

Votes: 10 55.6%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is a better scope for the money? Please consider durability, eye relief and brightness/clarity.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Which is a better scope for the money? Please consider durability, eye relief and brightness/clarity.
I own both models, but my VXII is not a 3-9x40. The only 4200 I own is the 3-9x40 and I'm happy with the purchase, it's a fine scope. I believe I paid $263 NIB for it, perhaps two years ago. I will have to admit, however, that I found very little difference to my eye between the 3-9x40 3200 (have owned two of these) and 3-9x40 4200, even in personal twilight comparisons. They are, as far as I know, exactly the same scope except for the lens coatings. The 4200 has a very good adjustment system, very positive and accurate. I have a difficult time choosing against a Leupold, however, if the price is the same for both, around $299.

I know you did not ask, but as far as I'm concerned a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 is worth the xtra hundred bucks and is a better scope than either, along with being the best $400 scope out there, IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Same, here
Don't buy either one, get the Zeiss 3x9. Cabelas has them for $399. The brightness at dawn and dusk is noticeably better then the other two and that's all that really matters in a hunting situation. They all look good during daylight hours. Whats another $100 when it comes to hunting, right?
I would take a step up and get the 3.5-10 with the 44 mm objective. I've hunted at night with that scope.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I am considering a Conquest, A Sightron Big Sky, and a Mueller Tac-II. I have heard great things about all three. Anyone have experience with the Sightron or Mueller?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Sightron get's a big thumb up in my book, Mueller is fine especially for what you pay for them but they are no sightron. i've had the Mueller 8.5-25 on a .223 and had no issues with it with the exception that the eye releif on higher power can get very critical.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
I've been looking at scopes too. I've handled or owned all that have been mentioned except for the Mueller. I'd consider the Sightron SIII and SII Big Sky better than Zeiss conquest, which is a very good scope for the money.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah a Sightron Big Sky for $369 online a few days ago. From all I have read it is a super scope. It is between that or a Zeiss at point. The Bushnell interested me because I want to get a stainless/synthetic "weather warrior", probably in 300 mag.

·
Registered
381 Posts
One gent I shoot with about every Sunday at a private range is one of our board of directors. Nice guy who is a serious shooter and doesn't mind spending money on really good scopes for his rifles. I was aware of his preference for Zeiss scopes, but know he has at least one Swavorski. Anyway, I asked him why he liked the Zeiss scopes. He replied, "I used to buy only Leopolds for my better rifles till I started looking through lens of lesser priced scopes and realized they just as clear as my Leopolds and that bothered me.....led me to try a Zeiss and found their glass was better. I took at least 6 Leopolds to trade in and replaced them with Zeiss."

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sorry if I offend but there is no comparison between sightron and zeiss. Zeiss conquest is the best scope under a grand in my opinion. They will take endless recoil and are one of the best optics I've seen. One of mine has been getting whooped on my 375 ruger for a while. Eye relief is awesome. Now between the 4200 and vx2, The 4200 is optically better. Both will take the recoil but the eye relief on the 4200 sucks. For a heavy recoiling gun, you have to get too close for comfort. I do own all these scopes so I'm speaking from my own experience.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Sorry if I offend but there is no comparison between sightron and zeiss. Zeiss conquest is the best scope under a grand in my opinion. They will take endless recoil and are one of the best optics I've seen. One of mine has been getting whooped on my 375 ruger for a while. Eye relief is awesome. Now between the 4200 and vx2, The 4200 is optically better. Both will take the recoil but the eye relief on the 4200 sucks. For a heavy recoiling gun, you have to get too close for comfort. I do own all these scopes so I'm speaking from my own experience.
That there, is an up close and personal reply. Listen closely to what's said!!:D:D:D The Bushnell Elite scopes I've owned, both 3200 and 4200, simply do not have the eye relief needed for BIG bangers. On rifles up to say 7mag/30/06 they do most certainly "walk the walk". ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Although the Bushnell's may fall into a lower price point then some of the other brands tnhunter is right the eye relief is lacking when compared to the Zeiss. Do yourself a favor and get the Zeiss

1 - 12 of 12 Posts