Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At the risk of being called a hypocrite I will admit that I am very interested in the $&W 500 mag revovler. I prefer blue over stainless, and I abhor that awful lock, but this thing flat facinates me.
I suspect that this will be a gun where reloaders will be searching the web for reduced loads. Unlike my favorite the .45 Colt where reloaders are looking for hotter loads.
So yesterday my brother sends me a scanned pic from the new S&W catalog. I had to work it over to make it fit. I hope it works.

Can you imagine shooting this thing in an indoor range?:eek:
The overpressures and flash :cool: would leave you shell shocked in about one cylinder.
J

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
J Miller
Yep I can see the Forest Service Banning the use of this gun during the dry season-for fear of it start forest fires!!!:D Gee do you think there will be a flame cutting issue with this gun/caliber?:rolleyes:

·
Banned
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flame cutting? I'd guess, more like a cutting torch:D .

I noticed the shooter was wearing gloves, I wonder if they were nomex? :p

·
Banned
22 Posts
Yes Well , did you also notice the gun wasn't flying back over his head either. Looks to me like they have done a good job of controling recoil. I have one on order , will let you know how it shoots. Already have the dies and bullets, waiting for the brass from Jamison, the people who made the brass for Corbon. Peter Pi also has stated they will be putting out load data on their website.

·
Banned
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MasterHunter,
Yes I did notice that. Since the first rumors came out about this gun I have been interested. The more I read about it, the more I want to shoot one.
Please do let us know how yours works. A complete range report with photos would be wonderfull.

All of us have joked about this huge gun, and maybe we sound like nitwits, but it's all in good fun. :rolleyes: Right guys? Guys.............

·
Banned
584 Posts
Gentlemen. My name is on the list to get one as soon as it comes in. In the mean time if you must have big massive power may I suggest a BFR (now owned my magnum research) in .450 Marlin? Nothing like 405g .458's at 1750fps in a revolver :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'll take you're word for it ZEP! That load rattles my dentures from my Marlin 336, it would likely lift my fat @$$ off the ground.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I'll admit it I'm a wuzz, wennie

There ain't no way I'm going to shoot one of those shells in a handgun.
Buttttttttttttt!
Can you imagine that cartridge in a lever action rifle? How about necking it down to a smaller caliber say 44 or 45 !
This is one exciting round for the wildcatter to play with.
Jim

·
Registered
59 Posts
Seems to me that everyone is getting alittle to excited about recoil. It has to be a little lighter recoil than a 500 Linebaugh Max. After all it is almost the same ballistics but 20 ounces or so heavier.

I also would be intrigued if it were coming out in single action like BFR or something like that.

·
Banned
378 Posts
1badmagnum, you are right about the ammo, what a rip off Cor-Bon is. That is why I got the Dies, projectiles and brass. I will not pay Cor-Bons prices. After my initial start up for this round I will be reloading it for well under a $1.00 per round using Cast Performance projectiles. Closer to .50 cents per round. If anyone is looking for the components, CH4D makes the dies, Cast Performance, Hawk and Barnes makes the projectiles and Jamison International makes the brass. Mark Jamison also has load data if you want it. Rumor has it Starline and Hornady are going to make the brass, also and other bullet manufactories will be making projectiles for the S/W500.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
Ripoff? If you consider that there will be any number of these guns on the used marked, with one box of ammo and only 3-5 rounds missing, probably not! In that example, the cost of the ammo expended will be less than a set of dies....

The serious shooter will of course reload for this, but most people aren't serious shooters, either.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have no real interest in this gun, but the amount of marketing S&W is doing to try and win back the shooting public is interesting.

I can't wait to see the first Hollywood .500, if you believe the movie makers every badguy currently cariies a chromed Desert Eagle.

I am sure this gun will sell initially - some to serious shooters and hunters like Redhawk1 seems to be.

The rest of the buyers will be the guys with a lot of money that have to have the latest, greatest thing on the market.

Half of these guys will never shoot the gun and just put it in their safe next to all their other engraved guns and special editions that never see the light of day.

The other half will shoot it, and eventually put the guns onto the used makert with a 1/2 box of shells (like a lot of the Taurus and Ruger .454s that keep popping up).

·
Banned
378 Posts
Mike G, The dies with shell holder costs $109.00 to my door. That is 3 boxes of Cor-Bon ammo with 12 rounds in each box at a total of 36 rounds. Mount a scope and sight it in, shoot it and have a friend shoot it and there goes your 36 rounds. If you are like me, I buy a gun to shoot it. I bought a .50BMG and shot over 300 rounds in a couple of months and yes I reload them also. And as for the people that just buy them for the he man effect, I will be buying theirs at the gun shop like I did the 454 Casull I have. I want the S/W500 to go on a bear hunt with and just to have fun making my own loads and shooting it. I love big bore handguns and rifles, my collection will attest to that and they all get there turn in the field and the range. :D As for my Rip-off comment, at almost $3.00 a round from Cor-Bon for the S/W500 is more than I paid for 1 of my.50BMG before I reloaded.

·
Registered
23 Posts
S & W 500

Well here we are again-- You pays your money, and takes your chances- :) They say RCBS has dies, at a smaller price, some who bought CH are crying, but I say the first time you pull the trigger on that baby, the pennies will be forgotten. Last I heard there was a over 10,000 gun back order. When was the last time you heard of that for any gun?? Or anything else for that matter?? Sure it won't be for all, but for those of us who have one comming. In my case, HAPPY FATHERS DAY :D- I also plan on reloading, but I wouldn't have anything I couldn't reload for. And Sure as h*** would not be putting out 3.00 a crack for ammo. At least not on a regular basis. I would like to see what the factory ammo will do out of the Ransom Rest though, and WILL be checking that out. I do suspect that once the ammo starts being made by more folks, the price will come down a bit. :)
GOOD LUCK TOO ALL!! :)

For those who saw the picture of the firing, did you notice the mushroom cloud over the muzzle?? :)

·
Banned
584 Posts
My dealer just called tonight. My S&W 500 has come in! I also have a set of dies that came in but no bullets yet (dang):D :D :D

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I just got to fondle a 500 also. Serial number in the low 500s. It was not near as heavy as I thought it would be and the trigger was extremely nice. Cylinder gap was extremely tight, almost as tight as on my FA .454 with absolutely no end shake. Cylinder lock up was rock solid unlike a lot of the .454 Raging bulls I have seen. The price was a lot cheaper too, $849.95. I can live with that. I have first option on the revolver but they are holding it for use in a TV show the dealer produces. I have a week to decide if I want it or not. Since I already have a .50 AK handgun to hunt with, I really have no need for the 500, but since the dealer is not getting any HKs in that I must have, money is burning a hole in my pocket. The question has changed from "Why?" to "Why not?"

·
Banned
584 Posts
I got mine for $799 , also a set of dies (another $34). Now I need to find some brass or loaded cartridges. It is lighter then I thought as well which should make it interesting when shooting 440g bullets. I am a little surprised at the back plate not being larger to cover the whole cylinder.

Oh well, I am a big bore pig. I cant wait to find out which has a better KO, the S&W500 or the BFR450m. Only the Chrony will know for sure... :D

·
Banned
15 Posts
stiring the fire

this is a little late for this topic, but at the time i was taking care of some buisness. overseas

i will have to agree with redhawk, and since this is a opinionated forum, (you know what they say about opinions)there are a few people in the shooting community that are like what exflatlander says. but on the other cheek there are those in the shooting community that have the holyer than thou attitude and are reluctant to change and new ideas. So do your own thing thats what this country is all about. its a double bitted axe. i too will be shooting my 500 when it gets in . with handloads, u cant really blame cor-bon for tring to make a fast buck there are far bigger scams out there for alot more money.:p

1 - 20 of 53 Posts