Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents:

I am planning on carving a custom stock and need a source for walnut. Most online sources offer only 1 to 1 1/2 " thick material. Will need about 2" thick to start out.

Any suggestions?

northwoods (of Minn)

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
It depends

When I wanted some thicker walnut, I went to a local sawmill and asked to have a walnut log cut into 4" X 8" dimensions. No problem, they cut the wood and charged me $20.00. Hope this helps. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
A surcharge of $1.00 per nail is charged at mills local to me.
Minnesota has walnut trees. You should be able to find something suitable local to you I would think. Look in the yellow pages or newspaper for someone who sells firewood and ask.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Or go to any hardwoods supplier. I don;t know where you are, but any reasonably large city will have them. Ask for 8/4 Walnut.....rough. It has not been planed to nominal thickness and will usually measure out at 2-1/8" or so.

I make knives. Well, I put scales on pre-made blades...better said. I've got some pretty good scale material from burlsource.com. He has some walnut slabs that might work for you. Go to the site and check out his stuff. This is a family run business, so I would give him (Rob) a call...you'll get The Man in the warehouse who can look at his slabs and tell you what he's got while on the phone. Or email him at [email protected]

·
Banned
612 Posts
You can always buy thinner lumber and laminate them together.

The stock on that rifle has a 3" fore-end. The wood was 4/4 walnut I got from a lumber yard (Minnesota Hardwoods, Inc. in Courtland, MN), planed to 3/4", and laminated with carbon fiber.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I don't know how fancy of a stock you are looking for, but there are usually ads for walnut blanks in Rifle magazine, some of them are really pretty (and expensive) If you're interested, I can look up the ads, I don't have them in front of me at the moment

·
Banned
200 Posts
Before you just buy a piece of wood, you need to know that the wood for many stocks is not straight cut. Wood for stocks is often cut at a double angle. I think that means if you were to have a log standing straight up, the cut for a stock would have the piece leaning toward the back and also leaning toward the side. This type cut provides the best attributes of the wood, including its figure that will show after being shaped.

Bob Nisbet

·
Registered
4,205 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replys guys. I thought of buying a large slab but decided not to - just do not need that much. Ebay seems like the best place. I do not need anything fancy - this is for my woods rifle (336) stocked for snap shooting, which gets rough service.

-Northwoods

·
Banned
13 Posts
Go with E-Bay.
They have several mills supplying blanks for gunstocks also numerous individuals. Just be sure to look the pictures over carefully, some of the individuals are not careful about grain flow when they layout a blank. You do not want a pritty blank that is too weak through the grip area. Also be sure to look for dry wood some E-Bay suppliers sell blanks that are only 6 - 9 months old; way too wet to work. One other thing to consider is that having a blank turned can cost $100 plus; you may be better off buying a turned blank from an outfit "Great American Gunstocks" especially if you do not want fancy wood.

Cheers, Turcis1

·
Registered
788 Posts
Why not try some of the ads for walnut gunstock blanks. They saw the trees specficially for gunstocks and prices for blanks are usually quite reasonable. Several of them are in California, and I have had good service from them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd be sure the wood I got was air-dried, kiln drying weakens it so much the military wouldn't use it for stocks. It also takes the hi-lights out of the color. Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts