Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever noticed the price of ground walnut shell used for brass tumbling. I see it advertized anywheres from $8.00 to $15.00 for five lbs. Next time when your in need try your local feed store. I get it 40lbs for $9.00, it lasts for ever and ifin you put a couple of cap fulls of Brasso (remember from your military days) and let run for bout 10 min will rejuvinate the old media. 40 lbs lasts a long time but its cheaper to buy it this way.

Thanks

Gun Runner

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I tried to find crushed walnut hulls at our local farm co-op. Seems, since Richmond has become a bit more metropolitan, that the yuppies had no idea what I was talking about.
What is the walnut hulls used for, other then polishing cartridge cases?
Jim

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
gun runner,

I haven't found any crushed walnut at several co-op or farm stores I've visited. I'll keep checking around because I agree, 40lbs. would last me the rest of my life!  And I sure agree with the Brasso recommendation. It workds much better than any of the factory (Dillon/Lyman/etc.) stuff that I've tired. It really shines the brass up.

Dan

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Something I've been using to rejuvenate the media with is glass cleaner. Not Windex but the commercial class cleaner using isopropal alcohol rather then ammonia.
I drop a bit in while the tumbler is running.
You can get the stuff at a janitorial supply house. It's both cheaper then the store bought stuff and works better then the ammonia based cleaners.
Jim

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess the newer generation dosent have a clue. All 3 of the local feed stores in my area carry the crushed walnut shell. I found out about it years ago from a shooting buddy that raised birds, they use it in the bottom of the birds cages. Guess maybe I live further back in time than I thought I did. But at least most of us still remember polishing buckles and anything else that needed to be polished while in the service.

Regards

Gun Runner

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can also find ground walnut hulls at pet stores also.  I get a 25lb.? bag at the local pet store for $12.  The ground walnut is used to line the bottom of reptile and bird cages but it is the same stuff used for ploishing media.  

I run two polishers to clean my brass, one to clean and remove all the dirt and carbon and one to put a good final polish on it.  The cleaner tumbler uses the old medial from the polisher and I add brasso to it to give an agressive clean. Many people will tell you that the ammonia int he Brasso will weaken the brass but I run the cleaner with the lid off for 15 min after addin Brasso and the ammonia evaporates and leaves all the abrasives.

THe other polisher I use clean media and car polish/wax.  I use the Nu Finish stuff that comes in an orange bottle. It really puts a good polish on the brass and makes the loaded ammo look great.

Something I learned from an old time reloader was to add a few tablespoons of mineral spirits to the media.  I have a squirt bottle and add a squirt before I throw the brass in.  I have found that that really helps the brasss come out clean.

·
7,764 Posts
Intel6,

I've noticed that a number of folks highly recommend using car polish. I use Brasso and it really polishes the brass, but do appreciate the issue of ammonia. Does the car polish products also have ammonia?

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, they just contain finer abrasives and wax additives.  I have found the car wax to give more of a mirror polish to my brass while the Brasso gets the brass clean and shiny I find it leaves the brass with fine scratches and not the mirror polish that the car wax gives.  

If you read the product info on the Dillon brand media additive it says it cleans and leaves a wax coat to help prevent the brass from tarnishing.  The Dillon stuff is basically liquid car wax with a blue coloring.  You can tell it the minute you open the bottle, smells the same. I guess most liquid car waxes will work but someone suggested the Nu Finish in the orange bottle so I tried it.  It has been working great and I have been using it for years.

·
7,764 Posts
Intel6,

Appreciate the help. I'll try your brand of auto polish as I've used Dillon's compound and while it gets my brass clean, it sure doesn't make it shine at all?  For me, the Brasso, with either corn cob or walnut, would pass my sargents inspection!

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I start a fresh batch of media I will give it a good shot to get it going, probably about 3 tablespoons worth.  I run my polishers on a timer so the brass gets polished the same exact amout of time everytime.  When I don't see my usual results I know it is time to add some more to freshen it up.  I add about a tablespoons worth to recharge it.

Remember I am using another tumbler to get off all the dirt and crap and then putting the cleaned brass in the second tumbler to put a shine on it.  If you are using a single tumbler you will have to experiment with it to come up with how much you need and when you need it.

·
7,764 Posts
Intel6,

As best I can figure out, we folks here in Ioway must think small cause a 5lb. container is the largest ground walnut package I have found so far. This is becoming somewhat of a personnal challenge to find a bigger bag. I'm getting my next farm/pet shops all planned out and I'm going to hit the road again next week. In the mean time, while I'm using the 5lb. container I found, I'll give the car polish a try.

Thanks again, turning into a good old time scavenger hunt.

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts