Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...that being said...wanting a stainless one but not sure between 4" or 5.5" barrel.

I know the recoil will be less with the longer barrel but will it be THAT much less?

Anyone own both and have opinions?
General opinions welcome too :)

Will

·
Registered
484 Posts
Have never fired a redhawk, I do have a super redhawk in .44 mag with a 7.5" barrel. The recoil is stout but very manageable. In fact I shoot it better that all but my smith .357. Needless to say I LOVE MINE. Good luck in finding one.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have had other 44 mags with 4" barrels and I've had 44mag Redahawk's with 5 1/2" and 7 1/2" barrels. The 7 1/2" absorbs recoil profoundly better than the 5 1/2". I expect that for full pressure heavy bullets loads, you're up against the same thing between the 4" and 5 1/2" Redhawks. I think the key question (assuming you have a normal reaction to recoil) is how hot do your want to load your 44's. If you want full pressure 355gr bullets, even the 5 1/2" will impress you with recoil. If you don't have to hot rod for your carry loads (say 280gr at 1,200 fps), the 4" would make for a reasonable option. I think the 4" Redhawk balances a bit better than the 5 1/2" But both carry well. With H-110/296 and heavier bullets, you'll lose about 75 +/- fps going from 5 1/2" to the 4" bbl. But all this is typical and not unusual to Redhawks.

My suggestion is two fold. First, if you want a "mountain gun" of sorts, go with the 4" barrel and accept the compromises that come with that choice. If you want to pack the most power safely possible in a proven carryable platform, go with the 5 1/2" barrel. Personally I love the "mountain gun" concept. After owning a S&W "Mountain Gun" in 44 mag for a while, I sold it and got a Ruger BH in 41 mag and am much happier with it. If the 4" Redhawk had been available then, I might have made that choice. Maybe. However, for a full pressure 44mag platform, I settled solidly on the 5 1/2" Redhawk (ported in my case) and have never regretted it.

Hope all this rambling helps.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've got a Ruger Redhawk. I put on a pachmayr grips. It has stout recoil with full house loads but those pachmayr grips help with the recoil. I haven't shot Redhawks with shorter barrels personally so I have no experiance with recoil for shorter barrels. My best advise is to go with Bill M's advise. If you want a mountain gun go with the 4" barrel. if you want to shoot really heavy duty loads go with a 5 1/2 or 7 1/2 inch barrel and it would hurt to invest in pachmayr grips for what ever barrel length you get.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have two SRH's. One in 44 mag & the other in 480 Ruger. Both with the longer barrels & both very manageable for me, but hey, I'm a good sized boy. As Bill M alludes, it depends on what your intended purpose would be.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. Thanks for the replies all :)

I don't plan to shoot anything too hot, more just for the fun of owning a .44 and shooting stumps and zombies should they attack.

My local Cabella's has a 5.5 in their case so if they throw some rebate money into the program I will get that one. It is stainless with the black rubber grips.

The 4" looks perfectly sized to me but then again..I have the .357 in 4" so that is really all I am used to looking at.

Will

ps-sometimes I go by "Bill" and my last name begins with "M"...I must listen to "Bill M"'s advice :)

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Whoa! If you are huntin' Zombies you are gonna be shooting a lot!

The .44 Mag puts 'em down pretty good, but if they get in close you are gonna have to switch to Chainsaw mode!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Whoa! If you are huntin' Zombies you are gonna be shooting a lot!

The .44 Mag puts 'em down pretty good, but if they get in close you are gonna have to switch to Chainsaw mode!
Yeah, the zombie thing changed my whole perspective on this. I think you are going to need the shorter version for the "up close" work so common in zombie shooting :eek::eek:
Dan

·
Banned
674 Posts
How are you carrying it. In a bandoleer or shoulder holster I would opt for the longest barrel I could handle but if you are carrying in a belt holster that extra 1 1/2" is going to be a pain in the ha-ha if you do much driving.

·
Registered
753 Posts
How are you carrying it. In a bandoleer or shoulder holster I would opt for the longest barrel I could handle but if you are carrying in a belt holster that extra 1 1/2" is going to be a pain in the ha-ha if you do much driving.
I agree and it would be a bigger pain in the HA-HA if you were sitting in your car and had to get it out to prevent a Carjacking if you had it in a belt holster.

There is one nice thing that I like about the .44 mag no matter which barrel length you get, You can shoot .44 specials out of it too. You're getting two guns for the price of one. The .44 special is fun to shoot too. I vary my shooting between .44 specials for in town home defence and .44 mag when I'm out in the woods.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I like the 7 1/2" barreled redhawk over my 5 1/2" barreled redhawk. Its easier to control and shoot with more weight up front. If i was looking right now it would be the 9 1/2" barrel.

I shoulder holstered the 7 1/2" barrel and the 5 1/2" barrel for many years.

I been thinking of getting dual right and left shoulder holsters for my two 7 1/2" barreled redhawks in 44mag.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Cool! Now you just need to get handloading and drop some big Beartooth 300s down the throat! :D

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought 350 rounds for it and they are all 240 gr I think.

I will have to look around for higher gr rounds as I am much too lazy to reload :-(

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Nice pickup... I like 4" Model 29's but the Redhawk balance best with 5 1/2" barrels IMHO

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Renthorin; I had the same choice to make about a month ago. I wanted "everything", but of course sometimes that is not possible. I found the 5 1/2" Redhawk to be the perfect compromise between portability, and power. It gives up a bit to the longer barrels, but what ever you hit with the 5 1/2" Redhawk wont know the difference. When I first got mine, I shot some pumped up 300 and 325 grain bullet loads. I have shot the 44 Mag for my entire life, and there is no revolver out there that I have shot in that caliber, that is as comfortable to shoot as the Redhawk. As far as portability goes, the Redhawk in a shoulder rig, or a hip rig is a nice compromie to the long and short barrels, and remember, you still have some good ballistics with the 5 1/2. I will carry mine in a weak side crossdraw. It will be out of the way for rifle carry, but, in a car (I am right handed), it would be easily accessable. anyway, that was my thinking, and the 5 1/2" Redhawk was my choice. I very much like the gun, and I am glad that I made the choice I did. Remember though...this is a personal choice. Your use for the gun, and your particular needs are what should be paramount in choosing the barrel lenght for that new Redhawk.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Code:
 I found the 5 1/2" Redhawk to be the perfect compromise between portability, and power. It gives up a bit to the longer barrels, but what ever you hit with the 5 1/2" Redhawk wont know the difference

I have chronographed some loads that were faster in a 4" barrel than revolver thant the same loads in a 6" and visa versa. No way to know without a Chrono

·
Banned
674 Posts
240 gr SP are what I use for deer hunting, they are accurate enough in my gun and dead is dead. I wouldn't worry much about heavier bullets unless you are going after something that might eat you if you made it mad.

·
Registered
753 Posts
240 gr SP are what I use for deer hunting, they are accurate enough in my gun and dead is dead. I wouldn't worry much about heavier bullets unless you are going after something that might eat you if you made it mad.

Corbon and Garrett have some really hot loads that will plant the front sight in your forehead!!:D Give a box of those a try!!!:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts