Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to get a lot of stuff from Midway, until today. I ordered a bunch of stuff in December, and I got all but one item, that went on back-order. No biggie I thought, I'll get it eventually. They alerted me that it was in. I wondered, why don't they just complete my order and just send it? Because they want to charge you another shipping charge, and another 'special handling fee', that's why. What is so 'special' about a rear sight elevation ramp that would require 'special handling'? At any rate, I told them to keep the 3 dollar part. I was not about to pay 12+ dollars to get it after I already spent 12+ dollars to get the other stuff. I have never dealt with a company that treats back-orders like brandy new orders. I always paid for the order and shipping, and if there was a back-order, they just sent it whenever it arrived. I fired off a real bridge burner e-mail (I don't ever do that ) to Larry and told him his business practice just lost him hundreds in the future over pennies in the present. I'll shop somewhere else. We'll see if and how they respond.

Watch out for this game if you order multiple items from them trying to save on shipping costs, it don't matter, something they don't tell you about up front. If there was a 'ship complete' option, there would be no issue.

adk59

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Midway started out as a pretty good company years ago. Unfortunately, Larry Potterfield has been consumed by greed over ethics. I order stuff from Cabela's all the time and when it's back ordered they ship it no extra charge and in all cases even honor the free shipping or reduced shipping in place when it was ordered. Too bad Midway doesn't try to rise to that level of customer satisfaction. I rarely ever buy from them anymore. They just don't care about their erroding customer base.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I completely agree with you guys! Midway has done me the same way and for the last time. I'll never spend another dime with them again...

They always ask if you "want to contribute to the NRA" and when I tell them no, they automatically tack on $3 or $5 and get LOUD and nasty when you ask them to take that charge off of there, because you told them no in the first place. That makes them thieves in my book!

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
You wanna really have some fun? Order primers and powders from Midway, on one order.

They ship them from different plants and ding you with TWO hazmat fees! Midway used to be the best online merchandiser of any kind, from my perspective. They had same day shipping and very reasonable costs. These days, they're so bad I ONLY order from them under certain circumstances, which is to say not very often at all.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I ordered a lot of stuff from them last year, but it ended when they doubled or tripled their shipping and handling fees. I can find my stuff elsewhere just like you guys. I won't even check their prices anymore as the high shipping always means they will be the highest. :(

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
You wanna really have some fun? Order primers and powders from Midway, on one order.

They ship them from different plants and ding you with TWO hazmat fees! Midway used to be the best online merchandiser of any kind, from my perspective. They had same day shipping and very reasonable costs. These days, they're so bad I ONLY order from them under certain circumstances, which is to say not very often at all.
This happens to a lot of people who order both. I've read this many, many time on the net. I just won't order from them for either item. I hope sooner rather than later the customer base turns their back on Midway.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I used to be a Midway guy I liked them a lot. I don't hope the shooting community turns their back on them I hope they pull their head out of you know where and reverts back to the company they used to be.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm with the rest of you, they used to be awesome. I don't know what happened, hired someone they shouldn't have to run something. It'll be interesting what their reply will be. If at all. The big excuse I predict. Not that it will make a big dif with me. "See ya, Larry." was the last line of the e-mail and I mean it. Even if they offer to give me that part for free - and ship it for free - I'm telling them to keep it. It's the principle of it all. You can't hide bad behavior behind good intentions.

Companies that have huge customer relations departments must have bad products or services. Otherwise, they wouldn't need huge customer relations departments. Imagine that.

adk59

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I've done business with Midway since the early 1980's, when it became legal to order bullets & ammunition cases through the mail. I recall that if your order exceeded $25 the shipping was free to the lower 48 States. They use to send out their large catalog that had all the items they carried, and I used that to order from. It seems nowdays that more & more items they have listed are either on "backordered" or discontinued. I believe this shortage of bullets and other reloading supplies like cases, primers and powder, has hurt their business somewhat, along with competition from other large ordering businesses, offering the same items like scopes and such.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
What I find confusing is that Midway had a GREAT business model: They had "just about everything" for reloading and gunsmithing, they had it IN STOCK, they shipped the same day, and like Davers said, anything over a certain price shipped for FREE. They turned a garage-based business into a multimillion dollar operation on that business model...and now, all of that has gone out the window.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'll get 1-3 emails a day from them, on sales, I have in the past had good luck with them, I got a brick of 22mag a few months back, & thought the shipping was high, thats how I got started with them in the first place, I needed a new reloading book, Lyman 49th Cheeper wanted $17 for it + $15 S/H, Midway was $18 + $6 s/h. & I ordered 100 .bullets all for the same $6 s/h

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,593 Posts
. I order stuff from Cabela's all the time and when it's back ordered they ship it no extra charge.
Do you think Larry is deaf? I don't.

Do you think the current situation is Larry's fault? I don't.

Do you think if Larry has the all stuff you wanted all the time you'd still order from him? I do.

I check the web site for everything before I order. If it's back ordered I don't order it and look elsewhere, simple. They have this neat "call me" or "notify me" feature? Works pretty good.

The current situation has everybody backordering and covering bets including Cabelas (PTOOEY)

Why (PTOOEY) on Cabelas? Have any of you been to their Grand Junction store? No I don't judge all Cabelas by their GJ store, but lets hope what ever ails that one doesn't spread.

No apologies here mates. Larry has treated me well for almost 30 years. Yeah he's gotten a bit less personal lately maybe, but I don't have the luxery of trotting down to a big sporting goods store once a week. Everything in The Elk Hunting Capitol comes at a price and if Larry has it at the time I need it I order it from him. If not I'll wait.

RJ

Reactions: baddad457

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

Primers and Powder may NOT be shipped together in one package, other than in assembled cartridges, in Interstate Commerce. Read your HAZMAT Regulations fully.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Do you think Larry is deaf? I don't.

Do you think the current situation is Larry's fault? I don't.

Do you think if Larry has the all stuff you wanted all the time you'd still order from him? I do.

I check the web site for everything before I order. If it's back ordered I don't order it and look elsewhere, simple. They have this neat "call me" or "notify me" feature? Works pretty good.

The current situation has everybody backordering and covering bets including Cabelas (PTOOEY)

Why (PTOOEY) on Cabelas? Have any of you been to their Grand Junction store? No I don't judge all Cabelas by their GJ store, but lets hope what ever ails that one doesn't spread.

No apologies here mates. Larry has treated me well for almost 30 years. Yeah he's gotten a bit less personal lately maybe, but I don't have the luxery of trotting down to a big sporting goods store once a week. Everything in The Elk Hunting Capitol comes at a price and if Larry has it at the time I need it I order it from him. If not I'll wait.

RJ
Cabela's doesn't charge you for freight if the product is backordered and they ship a partial order. I buy from them all the time and when it comes in they ship it to you and the freight is included in the other products you ordered that you did get. Read the post and don't misquote. Larry has a problem. I've been using Midway for thirty years and he's gotten proressivly worse over time. You might think he's OK but most of his customer base who've dealt with him for a length of time do not.

·
Premium Member
8,588 Posts
Still waiting for a reply from good olde Larry to the e mail I sent him last year. We have an outlet here in the UK for Midway run by an idiot. I no longer deal with them. Lots more suppliers around.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Primers and Powder may NOT be shipped together in one package, other than in assembled cartridges, in Interstate Commerce. Read your HAZMAT Regulations fully.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
I have not placed a large powder/primer order in a year or so mostly because of shortages but PV still has this on their website:
WE CAN COMBINE UP TO 48 LBS. OF POWDER AND PRIMERS UNDER ONE HAZMAT TO SAVE YOU MONEY. IF SENDING FUNDS IN ADVANCE, PLEASE CALL FOR ASSISTANCE IN CALCULATING YOUR AMOUNT

As to Midway, I have no complaints. I usually order enough to offset shipping anyway. Small orders are delivered by USPS for just a few bucks. I do compare prices and availability with other venders but that has nothing to do with any bad service from Midway.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I always pick my stuff up there directly as I am local. I will say, their customer service and returns department has always been flawless for me.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I was in need of a part for a Marlin 22 rifle. The part was $4. The shipping was $12. I had to have it so I paid it. That was my first and last order.

Darin

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I was in need of a part for a Marlin 22 rifle. The part was $4. The shipping was $12. I had to have it so I paid it. That was my first and last order.
I just got on Brownells and tried to order a $5.99 part to see what the shipping would cost. It was $7.95 USPS and $15.95 UPS, plus tax. Not sure where you live relative to Midway, but I suspect if we contacted other major suppliers the results would be the same on low density inventory items. It's not like people are ordering your Marlin part (or the Colt part I tested) dozens a times a day. I have never worked for Midway, but I did work in management in distribution fulfillment for several years and if you expect these places to fulfill your orders for low density items at break even or negative margin levels, you are nuts. They provide a service to you of getting you the part you need, even though there may be VERY little demand for it, but it ain't free brother.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts