Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I considered putting this in ballistics but it just didn't seem to fit.

In the process of putting my shop together i ran into a few big ticket items i just cant seem to go without ,blueing tanks, a lathe and a mill for one, but i was wondering if it would be possible to take a 500 gallon propane tank fill with water, torch a section out of the top to use for cleaning and acces using the piece for a hatch and install a pipe in one end to place the barrel of a gun in and use as a shot trap, i got the idea from channel surfing and stoping on csi (bad i know), despite the lack of intelligence and accuracy i have come to expect from csi it got me thinking, i figured i would install a aquarium pump to create bubbles directly under the firing pipe (pipe will run at an angle to from the top twords the bottom and end just under the water) in order to break the surface tension.

Anyone have ideas, or information about how far a bullet can travel underwater?

Or perhaps you have tried it and it just wont work?

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I shot vertical into a hi-tech polymer (plastic) 55 gallon barrel not long ago with a 41 magnum . Was near a 3 foot of water.

215 grains of lead @ about 1250fps punched a hole through the bottom of that barrel , and about 3 inches into the sand. Distance from muzzle to water surface was near 50feet.

I was purdy amazed! Wasted a good barrel too!

Cheezywan

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Mythbusters did a show on shots fired into water to hit a submerged swimmer.
High velocity, high energy jacketed rounds penetrated least, on average about 3.5 - 4 feet of water.
This included the .50 BMG

You might try Youtube, see if you can find the episode. Its at least 3 years old.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Savage sells exactly what you need. It is a bench mounted snail type bullet trap which will stop high caliber rifle bullets. This is one area where it pays to play it safe and use a commercial trap.
I shoot bullets into water boxes outside all the time and every once in awhile the unthinkable happens and a bullet exit’s the box. I ensure the tail of the box faces rising ground.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts