Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am considering puchasing a 8# jug of this powder from Bartlet Suplus. His info says to use it with H110 data.

I want to use this powder with the BTB .358, 185 gr. in the 357 mag. I also would like to use it with 270 gr. Keiths and the BTB 300 gr. 45 Colt bullets.

The 357 will be for both revolver and Win. Trapper. The 45 Colt will be for a Win. Trapper only.

Does anyone have real data for this powder with these bullets?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have no personal experience, but some of the knowledgeable guys over at Shooters.com Talk say that WC820 is closer to AA#9 than H110. Go over to the cast bullet forum and do a search... you may be glad you did.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I am working my way through the second jug of this powder. I have found it to be a good buy for the money. I hesitate to give my loads because they say this powder varies by lot. I have not experienced this. I would recommend reducing the loads from max by 5-10% and working up from there.

I shoot around 13.5 gr for 180 gr FNGC in the 357 mag. and around 19 - 20 gr in the 45 colt for a 325gr FNGC. I use about 23 -24 gr in a 454 Cassull. These are not near the max for these cartridges but they are accurate loads. They also fill the cases so there isn't a problem with low volume loads with slow burning powders.

Enjoy, just use discretion.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,228 Posts
Bigfoot, what are the velocities with those loads (and the barrel lengths)? Those do sound pretty light as compared to H110/WW296, so it sure sounds to me like the stuff is somewhat faster than advertised.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
WC 820 I have found with my own testing in the 44 Mag runs close to 2 to 2.5 grains faster than H110/296 with a 280 gr bullet in my testing. DO NOT use H110/296 data off the cuff so to speak. Use AA9 data to start.

I have found this powder to have some leeway with lighter loads and extremely clean burning when optimum load balance is reached. It also tends to reach max pressures with the mid weight bullets to about 280 grs in the 44 faster than the slower H110/296. Has a steeper pressure/burning curve. Higher weights than that call for slower powders like H110/296 for top velocities.

In my shorty Contender barrel I've gotten about 1390+ FPS with a 280 and safe pressures. (8"bbl)

All in all it is a great powder for the money and entirely useful. Yes, being a Non-Canister powder, each individual lot # can vary considerably so be attentive and start at the lower charge weights. Through trials, you'll get the hang of how your particular lot behaves.

Here is a good website for load data attached to the gents on the cast bullet board at Shooters:

http://www.castpics.net/index.htm

Go to the "Research and Data" link.

Regards

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the info. I'm going ahead and ordering a 8 pound jug.

Right now I'm using Marshall's 16 grs. of H110 with the 185 .358" bullet. It's great. I don't mind a little less velocity if the accuracy is comparable. With the 180 gr wfn from Cast Perf., I use 13.5 grs. of 2400 or 14.5 grs. of H110. It sounds like this powder is about the same burning rate as 2400.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The 357 mag averages 1180fps, 4" Gp100.

The 45 Colt averages 1400 fps from a 24" barrel Win 94 Legacy.

The 454 runs 1450 from a 7.5" Magnum Research BFR, alittle higher from a 12" Encore. I have a Burris 2x scope on the Encore with T/C mounts that keeps slipping. I have tried all the usual tricks and no luck so far.

You should try this powder at dusk and check the muzzle flash. The 454 impresses people with the blast.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Bigfoot,

What type of mount is on your Encore? Does it take separate rings?

I have had very good luck substituting the Burris Signature series rings on a stubborn double dovetail mount I have on a 357 Max barrel on the Contender. They also make them in the "Zee" configuration.

They hold extremely well and don't damage the scope tube.

Regards

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
These are the Thompson Center factory mount - one piece base and lower rings. I have looked at the Burris mount and they look as though they might work.

Thanks

I grew up south of Buffalo NY, What area of NY are you from Contender ?

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Hello,

I'm down in southeast NY about 65 miles North of Ground Zero. Putnam County.

That sounds like the abomination known as the Duo-Ring mount if I'm guessing right.

I believe one of the mount makers makes a double dovetail base (Burris, Leupold) for the Encore. You can use the Burris Signatures with either one.

One note about the Signature rings is in order. I have found them to take a "set" and loosening up after first mounting the scope in them. Simply retighten them after a couple days and you should be fine as the inserts conform to the surfaces.

Good Luck

Regards

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bigfoot,
With the 335 gr. cast perf. wfn in the 16.5" barrel of my 94 trapper over 19 grains of 2400 I get 1384 fps average. It sure sounds like this surplus powder is very close to 2400 in grains and velocity.

In my 4" mod. 28 revolver, 13.5 gr. of 2400 gives me 1150 fps average with the 180 wfn.

Doesn't SSK make a 3 ring system for your encore? That should eliminate slippage.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Thanks for the input, I will probably go with the Burris rings. The accuracy has not been as good as I had hoped with the Encore and I believe the mount is the culprit.

The SSK rings look nice. I am considering a barrel from them in 358JDJ or 8mm JDJ (just to be different)

·
Banned
57 Posts
I am also using wc820 from jeff at gibrass.aa#9 data ia waaaay to light in my experience,closer to 2400.my 50 ae and 440 rounds use 27-29 grains under a 240/325 grain speer jhp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts