Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,085 Posts
I am working my way through the second jug of this powder. I have found it to be a good buy for the money. I hesitate to give my loads because they say this powder varies by lot. I have not experienced this. I would recommend reducing the loads from max by 5-10% and working up from there.

I shoot around 13.5 gr for 180 gr FNGC in the 357 mag. and around 19 - 20 gr in the 45 colt for a 325gr FNGC. I use about 23 -24 gr in a 454 Cassull. These are not near the max for these cartridges but they are accurate loads. They also fill the cases so there isn't a problem with low volume loads with slow burning powders.

Enjoy, just use discretion.

· Registered
1,085 Posts
The 357 mag averages 1180fps, 4" Gp100.

The 45 Colt averages 1400 fps from a 24" barrel Win 94 Legacy.

The 454 runs 1450 from a 7.5" Magnum Research BFR, alittle higher from a 12" Encore. I have a Burris 2x scope on the Encore with T/C mounts that keeps slipping. I have tried all the usual tricks and no luck so far.

You should try this powder at dusk and check the muzzle flash. The 454 impresses people with the blast.

· Registered
1,085 Posts
These are the Thompson Center factory mount - one piece base and lower rings. I have looked at the Burris mount and they look as though they might work.

Thanks

I grew up south of Buffalo NY, What area of NY are you from Contender ?

· Registered
1,085 Posts
Thanks for the input, I will probably go with the Burris rings. The accuracy has not been as good as I had hoped with the Encore and I believe the mount is the culprit.

The SSK rings look nice. I am considering a barrel from them in 358JDJ or 8mm JDJ (just to be different)

1 - 4 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.