Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have WC820 and have loaded up 300WFN (Lee mold) .45lc, 19.6 Grains, OAL 1.60. This shoots OK out of my Trapper. I have to go to 1.585 OAL to get the cylinder to turn in the Vaquero. Will this length change radically increase the pressure? I ran some at 18 grains through the Vaquero and accuracy was not that great. Do I just need more time at the range doing load development? Just dont want to break the revolver, it was a big purchase for me. Anyone with a chrongraph  have any input on lot number 47320? I would like to have just 1 load and bullet for my combo. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You are probably aware, but I'll say it anyway.  WC820 is surplus WW296/H110.  Everyone I have spoken to that loads this powder loads it just like the commercial powders.  I would suggest that because you do not have a chronograph, you start at the min. load in your Vaquero and work your way up to what the revolver likes.  

Every gun is a law unto itself as John Taffin is fond of saying.  It is nice to have one load that several guns like equally well, but sometimes it doesn't happen.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
No slight meant your way MS as I'm sure you are correct in relating your aquaintences experience. However, in my experience and others that I know, WC820 is definitely NOT always compatible/comparable with H110/296.

In my guns, WC 820 runs about 2 grs. less to a comparable loading of H110 for the same velocity in a 44 Mag. and a 280 gr. LBT WFN.

Don't forget WC820 is a NON CANISTER powder from surplus. This means that individual lots can have a considerably different burning rate from one another.

If I were you, I would sincerely consider getting a chronograph to really see where you are going and accomplishing with your lot of powder.

You'll be much more confident in your ability to develop a good load using this powder.

I've also noticed that the pressure curve of this powder seems to make it peak out sooner than H110/296 with the heavier bullet weights. H110/296 being better suited for the heavier bullets in my experience in the 44 WITH MY LOT OF POWDER.

If anything, I'd say it's closer to Lil'Gun but that is purely subjective too.

As MS stated, every gun is a law unto itself. I'll also say every lot of WC820.

Regards, Ray

(Edited by Contender at 8:22 pm on Nov. 26, 2001)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
When a chrony can be had for less than &#36100 there isn't much excuse to not own one, especially when working with surplus powders which don't have as much published data.

I wish I'd bought one years ago - I guarantee that the initial expenditure would have been more than made up in components saved.

Ask around - one of your buddies might have one or be willing to split the cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been using a lot of WC820PD and I have also used it with the Lee 300gr WFN I have used 21.5 gr in my gun and it was ok.  I went up considerably in my 5 shot 45 but lately I have just been using the 21.5 gr and nothing more or less.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all, guess I'll go back to the range with the hand press. I'll put a chrony on my wish list. Until then I'll just shoot lots and lots of rounds. Thats why I bought the surplus powder and molds anyways. Am building a bullet trap for greater economy.  Happy Holidays!

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Here's a chrono on sale at Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/online/prodsearch.exe/BuildLink?SaleItemID=845555

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts