Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys have you paid much attention to this .44 mag
the 1892 take down with a 12'' octagon barrel !!! what a great back-pack fire arm and
even a saddle gun for your ATV or 3 wheeler......

Ol Deuce

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
That's all we need, another scary looking rifle to stir up the antis.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
I don't have a need for one. Nothing "scary" about it though. Less "handy" than a handgun. More "handy" than a rifle.
There is a United States Senator in California that has HAZMAT stuff in her makeup cabinet that is "scarier" than that!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Not so much.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
One additional thought: Since it's a take-down model, why have such a short barrel?

Heck, when you break it down, the barrel and forearm section are going to be shorter than the butt-stock and action, right?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Looks good to me. The first time I saw the Rossi handgun version of the 1892, I thought it might make a good bear protection gun. The 12 inch barrel gives the 44 Magnum a bit more zip. With that stocked version, the short barrel would make it a bit faster to use at very short range.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't find a darn thing wrong with that gun, other'n the fact it ain't mine.
I've seen times when I wished I had a gun like that, several times in fact.
Gotta tell my kids about this "new" item on the old man's birthday list, ya never know, I just may be driving one of those, or one very similar, one of these days

Russ..

·
Registered
19 Posts
the 1892 take down with a 12'' octagon barrel !!! what a great back-pack fire arm and

Ol Deuce
Um i thought a "rifle" had to have a 14 inch barrel to be legal

·
Registered
145 Posts

Ol Deuce
14 inch barrel makes it a short barreled rifle. That is an NFA item and requires a form from the BATFE. I think it is a form 4, but not sure about that part. If it had a 16 inch barrel it would be fine, and since it is a take down type gun there is no reason it could not sport an extra 2 inches on the barrel.

Why draw attention to yourself by buying this? You would not be much better off than if you bought a revolver with a long barrel, and the revolver could be loaded with 6 rounds instead of 5.

No thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is it that much more useful, that it would be worth paying the SBR tax?
Certainly not to me. More like a toy for people with a lot of money to burn. I'm much rather have one with a 16" barrel, or even better 18" barrel, which I think would be more useful, and would NOT need the $200 tax. If I wanted it shorter, I'd shorten the stock a bit.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I like it. It seems to have a pretty standard LOP, and that's what's important when holding and shooting it from the shoulder. Its not a Mare's leg, it has a full buttstock. Obviously it will need some type of SBR paperwork done to own, but those things to not bother a lot of folks. All the talk on this forum of paperwork being done for "silencers" show this to be very true.

If you want 6 from a wheelgun when trying to end a threat (furry or flesh) that's fine with me. I'll take 5 in a rifle platform every day and twice on Sundays. I'd suppose that the idea that SO folks love these SBR guns for their close quarter "work" means nothing? Makes total sense to me. I'm not using it for spot and stalk hunting, stand hunting or even still hunting. But, I'd take one on any jaunt in the woods camping or hiking where I worried about furry 4 legged stuff or flakey 2 legged stuff.

YMMV

Reactions: pete88 and shawnbo

·
Registered
60 Posts
II'd suppose that the idea that SO folks love these SBR guns for their close quarter "work" means nothing? Makes total sense to me. I'm not using it for spot and stalk hunting, stand hunting or even still hunting. But, I'd take one on any jaunt in the woods camping or hiking where I worried about furry 4 legged stuff or flakey 2 legged stuff.

YMMV
In Africa I understand the gun for lions in thick brush is a shortened double barrel 12 ga shotgun, with buckshot. Here, for close quarters work my preference would be a Mossberg 12 ga pump, with an 20" barrel, and buckshot. If you're close enough for 'close quarters work' buckshot will do a lot more than a bullet would, and it is not that easy to hit a close target that just pops up with a bullet. And a 20" barrel shotgun makes a great quail gun, try that with a short barrel rifle.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts