Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weatherby 300 weatherby mag and was trying to find out how to read the serial number to get some information on it. Which exact model it is(multiple look alike) and when made. I do know it was made in South Gate, CA and has the weatherby variable 2x to 7x scope on it. Looking to get more information as I aquired the gun when my grandfather passed away. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Weatherby moved to making the Mark V's in the US, sometime around the mid 90's. Before that, they were made in Japan, and before that they were made in Germany.

Authenticate the History of Your Weatherby Rifle

Learn the history and lineage of your Weatherby firearm, researched and authenticated through our company records. Each certificate is personally signed by Roy E. Weatherby, Jr. and Dean Rumbaugh, Company Historian. $50 per serial number, ($75 for Custom Rifles, $100 for Special Edition or Commemorative rifles). You may print and mail the Authenticity Order Form or for information, write Company Historian, 1605 Commerce Way, Paso Robles, CA 93446.

You might get more answers to this if you go to http://www.weatherbynation.com/ or http://www.weatherby.dk

·
Registered
330 Posts
The Weatherby factory moved from South Gate, CA to Paso Robles, CA which for me is great. I remember venturing to visit the Weatherby factory when it was located in South Gate, CA. My wife & son were so scared as South Gate, CA is not the kind of place you want to have car trouble or get lost. It's a high crime, ugly part of Los Angeles. The new Paso Robles location is just 2 hours from my home and I can visit, call with questions or order or pick up whatever I need. They are open Mon-Thursday and you can call them at 805-227-2600 . Tang's suggestion of Weatherby Nation.com is good to answer your questions about you rifle. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
weatherby rifles were never made in california, the vangaurd has always been made by howa in japan and the mark 5's are currently being made in brainerd minn. before that they were made in saco maine, before that all weatherby's were made by howa, before that the mk 5 was made in germany...

·
Registered
330 Posts
weatherby rifles were never made in california, the vangaurd has always been made by howa in japan and the mark 5's are currently being made in brainerd minn. before that they were made in saco maine, before that all weatherby's were made by howa, before that the mk 5 was made in germany...
I wasn't making any reference as to these weatherbys being made in Calif. Dan. I was only referring to the fact that they have a factory showroom in Paso Robles Calif. as I've been there. Before that, South Gate, CA. (been there too). Yes they are now being made in Japan amd Minnesota. Sorry for the confusion. :eek:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Before they came out with the Mark V action they were primarily made with FN Mauser actions, I forget the exact year the Mark V came out. I did research a few years ago as I received a 300 weatherby almost the same way. Mine is a Pre-Mark V based on the FN mauser action built in 1954. If you could send me some pics and more info I could help you figure it out as I have alot of info now on Weatherby's from tha era.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before they came out with the Mark V action they were primarily made with FN Mauser actions, I forget the exact year the Mark V came out. I did research a few years ago as I received a 300 weatherby almost the same way. Mine is a Pre-Mark V based on the FN mauser action built in 1954. If you could send me some pics and more info I could help you figure it out as I have alot of info now on Weatherby's from tha era.
cool. Ill try to get pics. Let me know the other info you need like numbers or whatever. I recieved it from my grandpa and have no idea how long he had it or how he aquired it. He was a huge gun collector with 100's of guns ranging from cane guns to some super pricey collectables. All his collections got sold at an auction after him passing away. his hunting rifles and regular pistols were what was saved and "passed down"...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts