Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend of mine with a Weatherby Mark V that is failing to feed. He's not short stroking the action, but it seems the cartridges are sliding too far back in the magazine to allow the bolt to engage the case head. The rifle is a 338 Winchester Magnum. Any ideas?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,314 Posts
Perhaps a stupid question, but does the rifle have the correct magazine, and especially, the correct follower? A call to Weatherby to confirm may be in order.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I haven't seen this happen, I used to have a Mark V Alaskan and mine seemed to have the full Magnum length magazine in it (375 H&H length). Mine never failed to feed, but I guess his does this quite often with both handloads and factory loads. The cartridges are pushed back through recoil far enough that the bolt just slides over the top of them.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to take a good look at it tomorrow for him. He swears he's not done anything to it except a typical cleaning job (clean the barrel, bolt, and oil wipe the follower, spring, floorplate type stuff). I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for all the input.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those interested in the answer to the question above, I checked the rifle and it appears to be built on a magnum length (Wby length) Mark V action. It looked as if there was a buffer plate or cartridge stop that was missing, so we took a trip to a gunstore in Anchorage and checked a couple of Mark V's chambered for standard length cartridges. Sure enough, there is a stop in there to keep the cases from sliding too far rearward. A quick phone call to Weatherby and one was on the way. Total charge with 2nd day shipping, $20 (as my friend is not the original owner). The stop (or whatever it is called) snapped smartly into place and we cycled several magazines full of cases through. Both aggressively and gently with no feeding problems. Beware out there if you buy a used Weatherby Mark V in a cartridge that is not full magnum length, those stops do not look like it would be very hard to lose....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts