Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into another rifle and have always been a ruger guy, but was into wal-mart and saw a rifle that is kind of growing on me. weatherby vangard tan/web stock in .300 wby mag. for only 350 bucks. I really have only heard good things, but I would like imput or oppions good or bad.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i just picked up a blued/synthetic vangaurd at scheels in bismarck on tuesday, haven't shot it yet but i expect good things from it... mine is a 22/250.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The Vanguard is a push-feed rifle sharing characteristics of Remington and Sako actions -- in other words, a solid design and on average a nicely (sometimes extremely) accurate rifle. If I saw one for $350 this afternoon, in a chambering I wanted, I'd snatch it up.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The first Vanguard I purchased was a VGX in .270 for about $650.00 in the early eighties. I thought it was a very good price for what I got. The stock finish and blueing was fantastic and almost 30 years and countless rounds later it is still a sub MOA shooter. Every Vangaurd I have owned has been sub MOA with very little tweaking or load developement. They have a reputation for accuracy. I have one of the $350.00 300WBY Vangaurds and except for the plastic stock and matt blueing it's identical to the more expensive ones. The action has the look and feel of a Remington, the recoil lug like a Winchester and is very robust. Sometimes you will get one with a heavy trigger but you can adjust them or buy a replacement. The only complaint I have against Vangaurds is they are a bit heavy, in 300 WBY they are comfortable to shoot in part due to it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought a stainless vanguard in 300 win mag about a year ago. I've never hunted with it but I've put 150 or so rounds through it at the range and have no complaints. That being said I would've bought a Rem 700 if I could have got one for the same price. For the 425$ I paid for the vanguard I think its a heck of a gun. If you like the rifle, buy it, I don't think weatherby would put their name on junk and for 350$ how could you go wrong? Good luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have often been tempted to pick one up. I hear of great accuracy reviews for them. I'd love to pick one up in a 300 WBY. My one and only reason for not buying one is Vangards are made in Japan. I dont like buying products made in Asia if I can help it. Just a personal thing. I would rather buy a rifle made in the US like Ruger or a Remington.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
My father-in-law has a nice walnut vanguard that he bought about 20 years ago. Its a .270 Win and shoots sub-MOA with Federal loaded 130gr Gamekings.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have often been tempted to pick one up. I hear of great accuracy reviews for them. I'd love to pick one up in a 300 WBY. My one and only reason for not buying one is Vangards are made in Japan. I dont like buying products made in Asia if I can help it. Just a personal thing. I would rather buy a rifle made in the US like Ruger or a Remington.
I take it this is the reason for the $350 price tag.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The company that makes the Vangaurd is Howa, they have made guns for some of the other big names and quality is and has always been above average. Since the Vangaurd has always been made by Howa of Japan I imagine the low cost is due to volume and efficiency. Barrels are very good which is why they have a reputation for accuracy. If someone is set on an American made product that is fine, but why would you give your money to a company like Ruger? Bill Ruger was very vocal about supporting the AWB and felt there was no reson for a civilian semi auto to have more than a 10 round magazine. How un-American is that? That left a very bad tast in my mouth for a very long time.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just was looking at weatherbys site and found all weatherby rifles including 350 dollar vanguards have a guarantee of 1.5 in. MOA. and then the sub MOA guaranteed rifles are 999.00, I cant see spending that much more for a 3/4 in. diffrence! This rifle is looking better and better to me.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The Weatherby Vanguard uses a Howa barreled action and I bought my son a S&W Model 1500 in the early 90's and it's a great shooter and very accurate. It has the same Howa barrel action in it except for the shroud and the back of the bolt that Weatherby wanted added to the action.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Ruger

The company that makes the Vangaurd is Howa, they have made guns for some of the other big names and quality is and has always been above average. Since the Vangaurd has always been made by Howa of Japan I imagine the low cost is due to volume and efficiency. Barrels are very good which is why they have a reputation for accuracy. If someone is set on an American made product that is fine, but why would you give your money to a company like Ruger? Bill Ruger was very vocal about supporting the AWB and felt there was no reson for a civilian semi auto to have more than a 10 round magazine. How un-American is that? That left a very bad tast in my mouth for a very long time.
I had never heard of Bill Ruger supporting anyone but the NRA and we know what thier policy on mag capacities is. He was ( AND THE COMPANY still IS) a huge supporter ,as in millions of dollars, of the NRA. If you look at mags for Ruger pistols you'll see no 10 rounders since Brady expired. If you Don't buy Ruger over that rumor you're missing out, and cutting off your nose to spite your face, as the saying goes. Can you tell I own a few Rugers? Proud of it too.

·
Registered
488 Posts
This just means that it was made by some of the most "quality conscious" manufacturers in the world.

I too prefer to buy American made products whenever I can, but some US gun companies are letting their quality go to crap, but are still trying to charge top dollar. The market will fix that.
Dan

·
Registered
488 Posts
I had never heard of Bill Ruger supporting anyone but the NRA and we know what thier policy on mag capacities is. He was ( AND THE COMPANY still IS) a huge supporter ,as in millions of dollars, of the NRA. If you look at mags for Ruger pistols you'll see no 10 rounders since Brady expired. If you Don't buy Ruger over that rumor you're missing out, and cutting off your nose to spite your face, as the saying goes. Can you tell I own a few Rugers? Proud of it too.
Ruger supported the the prohibition on high capacity magazine in 1989. Not rumor, FACT! I found many documents supporting this with a simple BING search:

In his letter to members of the House and Senate on 30 March 1989, Mr. Ruger stated in that which has come to be known as "The Ruger Letter":

The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions)​
but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete, and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining "assault rifles" and "semi-automatic rifles" is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could prohibit their possession or sale and would effectively implement these objectives.

While I like Ruger firearms too, the above statement is pretty clear.

BTW, S&W also supports the NRA, but they also support "smart-gun" technology.
Dan

·
Registered
488 Posts
I am looking into another rifle and have always been a ruger guy, but was into wal-mart and saw a rifle that is kind of growing on me. weatherby vangard tan/web stock in .300 wby mag. for only 350 bucks. I really have only heard good things, but I would like imput or oppions good or bad.
To answer your original question, this sounds like an awesome deal on one of the "best buys" in factory rifles. Personally, I would stay away from Wby calibers, but it would not be a problem if you are a handloader.

Good luck.
Dan

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Amreican or Japanese

Ruger supported the the prohibition on high capacity magazine in 1989. Not rumor, FACT! I found many documents supporting this with a simple BING search:

While I like Ruger firearms too, the above statement is pretty clear.

BTW, S&W also supports the NRA, but they also support "smart-gun" technology.
Dan
My mistake, you got me there. But I think we can both agree that Ruger is a Great all Amrican company and staunch supporter of th NRA and they have never had a trully UNAMERICAN CEO like S&W did who fell all over himself to be PC to the point of nearly killing a great American company. BTW I have wandered far from the subject of Howa rifles. I think they are an ok rifle and a real bargain, but if I wanted a bargain priced, good shooting rifle it would be Savage. I have 2 and both are tack drivers.:D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Wow!

Hey Magnimitis----were those groups from handloads? Probably a stupid question considering this is a shooting forum. Very impressive!:eek:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hey Magnimitis----were those groups from handloads? Probably a stupid question considering this is a shooting forum. Very impressive!:eek:
Handload. Yep. Nothing at all special, though.

prepped Federal brass
CCI 200 primer
couple gr. under max of IMR-3031
150 gr. Winchester Power Point

1 - 20 of 28 Posts