Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weatherby vanguard 2 in. 338 win mag and I want to upgrade from the original stock, preferably to a chassis system. I have spent hours searching online for something and I have come across the MDT chassis, however it does not specify if it will fit on a vanguard 2, and also the description indicates that it is unavailable in the. 338WM caliber. Has anybody purchased one for this rifle before? Also, would my vanguard fit in a chassis system designed for the Remington 700 sps, as the two rifle profiles are (at least to my eyes) very much identical. Has this ever been tried? Would it be unsafe or a waste of money to attempt? All information on any of these issues is welcomed and appreciated.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The Vanguard receiver is very different from A Remington 700 it would take quite a bit of work and fill.

·
Premium Member
15,053 Posts
I don't know what a Vanguard 2, but the original Vanguard is a Howa M1500. They have a 'square' receiver. Remingtons are round.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Having fitted both actions to stocks, the Vanguard and 700 are completely different animals. You would run into all kinds of issues - serious ones, like action screw holes not lining up. I even had to modify Vanguard factory stocks (both synthetic and laminated) to work properly with Timney triggers. Scary to think what would be required to fit the Weatherby action in a Remmy stock, especially with a 338. The recoil is going to accentuate any flaws in action fitting in very short order.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,115 Posts
Why not make a phone call to the manufacturer and ask their tech service people the question?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts