Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
199 Posts
You're going to get lots of good feedback on them, so I might as well give you the downside. I owned one in .223, used it hard, had all sorts of problems which can be found in the other vanguard thread, and wouldn't buy or recommend another. That's my personal opinion and seems to differ from everyone elses.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to look into picking one up, if I can get one of my other rifles sold (which I'm not sure I really want to do).

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,233 Posts
I have one in 338 Win mag. I have put a couple hundred rounds thru it without a hitch. I would not hesitate buying another one.

·
Inactive
654 Posts
I also have a Weatherby Vanguard Sage Country in a 7mm Rem Mag and it is a great shooter. I think it is one of my best rifles, and it was only about 400.00 when I bought it. Loaded with 160gr Accubonds it is a very deadly rifle. Trigger is kinda crappy, but useable. Hard to go wrong for the money. Scotty

·
Registered
11,954 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion on a Vanguard? I've never shot or handled one, so was wondering if they're worth looking at. Thanks in advance.
I know three guys that have 'em and everyone is a good shooter.

Might check Wal-Mart. The store here was closing them out for $339, blued synthetics in 7mmRM.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well...I got that rifle sold for more than I thought (and quicker). I went and looked at everything Cabela's & Scheels had and I like the stocks on the Vanguards (and the price). But now I'm looking at a Browning, Remington, and Tikka too. Good thing I'm not in a big hurry cause this is a tough decision. If I could afford a Winchester...it'd be a no-brainer, but at least I have an excuse to go to Cabelas or Scheels a couple times a week. :D

·
Banned
199 Posts
What's the difference in price like? The Browning and Tikka are both better quality rifles than the vanguard, if the price was similar, I'd be getting one of them.

Out here you could get a vanguard for $800 and it was about $1200 for the Tikka, now the prices are getting closer between the two.

If you can drop in to the gunshop a couple of times a week, it's obviously close, so the Vanguard won't be a problem anyway. My gunshop is 600km away and it's difficult to return a gun under warranty under those circumstances!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What's the difference in price like? The Browning and Tikka are both better quality rifles than the vanguard, if the price was similar, I'd be getting one of them.

Out here you could get a vanguard for $800 and it was about $1200 for the Tikka, now the prices are getting closer between the two.

If you can drop in to the gunshop a couple of times a week, it's obviously close, so the Vanguard won't be a problem anyway. My gunshop is 600km away and it's difficult to return a gun under warranty under those circumstances!
The Vanguards are running right at $400. The Remington 700 SPS, Browning Stainless Stalker and Tikka T3 at $600-$625, and a Remington 700 ADL runs about $550 with a cheaper scope. These are all with synthetic stocks. I don't think I can go wrong with any of them, but to me, the Browning makes the most sense for the price. I do like having something that allows me to open the bolt while the safety is on, but it's not deal breaker.

The guy at Cabelas told me that Marlin makes a pretty good bolt action that I could get for around $300. I don't know much about them, but they can't be that bad if they're made by Marlin.

I'm trying to keep it under $600, but $25 isn't a big deal. I've only shot Winchesters and Rugers so, like I said before, I've never shot anything I looked at today.

·
Banned
199 Posts
I haven't shot the Marlin either, but they have received very good press for a budget rifle. Both the editor and tech editor for a popular shooting magazine out here bought them, and those guys have some very good rifles already. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them really, but as I said in my first post I had a couple of issues with the vanguard. They would have been covered under warranty, but distance makes that difficult for me so I just sold the rifle instead.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Are the Marlin bolt guns made in the US where the levers are? Or are they an outsourced deal?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Thompson Center Venture

have you looked at the TC Venture? I bought one a couple of months ago in 270. After trying a couple of different powders with a 130 grain Hornady SST it is shooting around 1/2 inch at 100 yards.

Synthetic Stock, blued, 60 degree bolt lift, adjustable trigger, detachable box mag, guaranteed to shoot 1 moa with premium factory loaded bullets. My handloads shoot much better than the 1 moa guarantee.

I understand that some people do not like them but but I love it. Hard to complain about a gun that shoots 1/2 inch groups. In my opinion they are a much better built gun than the other budget guns being sold.

I paid less than $600 for the gun, Burris Zee rings and a Nikon 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff scope.

Just my suggestion. I would definately take a look at them.

Darin

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.