Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a hurricane and a couple of bad summer storms that dropped a ton of tree debris on my place. I recently spent about a week cutting up and hauling the big pieces to a burn area and I had rigged up a tarp drag to haul the smaller pieces that were too long to try and haul with my little dump trailer.

Plant Tree Wood Grass Gas

My wonderful BIL had commandeered this little trailer for his hog hunting forays on mine and my neighbors property pulling it behind and old Craftsman lawn tractor I have. Of course, he did something to my little Craftsman (still don't have it running), and just left my little trailer full of his crap for about a year. I cleaned it out to use to haul smaller branches and found this shotgun shell in the bottom. My BIL snitches shells of mine out of my stockpiles and I guess he had dropped this in the trailer some time ago. It sat uncovered for a long time and I got curious as to whether it would fire or not.

Wood Flooring Floor Red Wood stain

Wood Flooring Floor Table Wood stain

Took it out yesterday and it went bang just great. I don't recommend leaving your reloads out in the weather, but can say I'm impressed it performed. :D

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I had a couple of ammo cans of +30 year old reloaded Double AA shells, skeet shells, that I gave to my one of my son's. He wanted to know if they'd be safe and fire? I told him they would and they did. No corrosion on them. JW must seat them primers tight. My daughter was four years old and used to sit in my lap, she loved to pull the handle and make shotgun shells. She just turned 41 (if she see's this post, I'm in for a beating) and remembers those times from the past.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Daughter and SIL are sitting on about ~65 flats of 20 gauge target/dove loads that I loaded many years ago. I didn't feel like moving them anymore. Probably about 1/2 AA and 1/2 of the old Remington RXP hulls. I grabbed a few flats last year to do some skeet and dove hunting. These were loaded probably between 1987-1998. I should have dated the boxes as even back then I had a hatred for 20 gauge. I've never had an issue with any of them and have actually shot a few hundred last year trying to burn some up.

The corrosion in the primer area was very likely due to sitting in the bottom of the trailer for over a year being rained on and 75-100% humidity for most every day. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts