Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Weaver 1-4.5 scope on a 444 for years. Made the mistake of taking it off and putting it on another rifle.
When I put it back last week I cannot get the elevation adjustment high enough. Spent a lot of time on U-tube and
nothing seems to help. Do I really have to shim the scope in the mounts. I never had to before. thanks - Fay馃槱

Registered
Stating the obvious, but if it worked correctly before but does not now, something changed. The process here is to systematically investigate what changed.

Did the rings or bases or mounts stay with the rifle when you moved the scope, or move with the scope?

Premium Member
Did you change rings, too? Switching scope and rings to another gun usually doesn't mess up anything. The Weaver is a steel tube scope so usually don't suffer from over-tight rings.....could it be the elevation adjustment is stuck internally and just not changing?

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Did you change rings, too? Switching scope and rings to another gun usually doesn't mess up anything. The Weaver is a steel tube scope so usually don't suffer from over-tight rings.....could it be the elevation adjustment is stuck internally and just not changing?
Everything is the same. Just doesn't seem to be enough "clicks" on the scope sadly.

Premium Member
The Marlin is about as simple as it gets for a scope. The top of the receiver is flat and parallel with the bore line. That means the scope mount is not tapered or offset and both rings are the same height. If nothing has changed in the mounts it means the scope 'went bad' somehow. Swap scopes would be the next thing to try.

Registered
If it worked before , it should work now ... do you have the windage and elevation knobs positioned differently .
Something has had to have changed .
Gary

Registered
I鈥檝e had scope bases on a rifle as 鈥榮imple鈥 as the Marlin. Removing those bases and re-installing them moved POI roughly 3.5 mils (~~12 MOA). This isn鈥檛 automatically a broken scope, but that is one of the possibilities.

Registered
Weaver's tip off rings are made to allow you to remove the scope and replace it without affecting Zero . What mounts are you using , what bases and have any changed .

If not ... could it be the scope has gone out of whack ?
Gary

The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
If the base did not come off the Marlin, and the rings stayed on the scope, then something very weird is going on. I've removed / replaced scopes with weaver-style rings and never had one not return to zero......

Remove / replace base, or change rings, and all that goes out the window.

Premium Member
For a scope to be off 25 inches at 100yds, (half the adjustment plus half the target paper) the mount has to be out of alignment by at least 1/32" (.034). I can't imagine not being able to see that much out of alignment, especially with the straight, parallel lines of a Marlin receiver as reference.
If it's not crooked, the scope is broke.

Registered
If you don't want to check the mounts on the Marlin, put the scope back on the rifle it just came off of and see how that one shoots.

Registered
If it is a Weaver type base, is it possible that the rear ring is not seated properly in the base's slot? If it were secured with the crossbar not all the way seated in the slot, that could raise the rear ring high enough to run out of "UP" elevation.

Reactions: alaska682 and MZ5

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I moved the rings with he scope. I see a lot of info on U-Tube about having to shim. Since I didn't shim the first time it sure is strange that I may have to now. Not sure just what to use. thanks for the help

The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
If you don't have any sheet brass or copper on hand, I've shimmed many a mount with strips cut from aluminum soda cans.

Reactions: Darkker

Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
What kdub said and/or aluminium foil.

RJ

Reactions: Darkker

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Well after playing around with shims for two hours, I took the scope completely off for the "third" time and
when I put it back on the rifle everything seems to work fine. I have no clue what happened and I did nothing to "fix" the problem. Oh well now back to the range to zero it back in sometime this winter. I will not remove it again that's for sure. Tight Groups Gang. Thanks again. Fay

The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
Don't think you had it seated all the way down, the first time. There isn't much other explanation.....

Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
The "Carburetor Syndrome" strikes again. 馃憤

RJ

Reactions: Maeus and Fay
1 - 20 of 20 Posts