Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original barrel catch spring broke on my Webley MK IV. Have been trying to find a replacement part. I did purchase a part described as a Webley .38 barrel catch spring #24-9 from Jack First Inc. It is bigger than my original part and if it works will need to be "fashioned" by a gun smith.

Does anyone have a better source for this part? Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
They have to be made or fitted and fitted is a PITA. In what dimension is to too big? Send me pics to j belk 09 at gmail dot com with no spaces and I'll see what you have. The old Brownell's Top Break Lever Spring assortment has a couple that can be adapted, but it takes patience and tools.
Welcome to the forum. 'Gunsmithing' might have been a better choice of places to post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The original barrel catch spring broke on my Webley MK IV. Have been trying to find a replacement part. I did purchase a part described as a Webley .38 barrel catch spring #24-9 from Jack First Inc. It is bigger than my original part and if it works will need to be "fashioned" by a gun smith.

Does anyone have a better source for this part? Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,
Here are some pictures of the original spring and the replacement spring. Original on the Right.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
That looks to have a locator knob on one leg and a contact patch on the end of the other. I'm assuming the original is the one broken....on the left. ;)
Thats' not an easy spring to make and the chances of scarring up the gun in fitting and trying are high. I would keep looking for an OEM part. Send Jack First the pictures. Many times there are dozens of parts in a drawer and some are different.
I would join an English discussion group, also. Leaf springs break so there are usually big supplies of replacements....somewhere.
Just to get you by, maybe. Common steel banding used in packaging is a light spring temper. Get a couple feet of it and see if you can bend it double for the vee without it breaking (good luck with that). The steel is good enough to anneal, make the part and then re-heat-treat, if you have that capability. Banding is light on carbon so doesn't have the strength of better steel. (O-1 is about perfect and ebay sells it in small pieces).

That looks to be a generic vee spring with a locater lump and are made to be fitted by a 'smith. A bench grinder and a couple of new files could convert the big one into a little one with some time involved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts