Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out and bought a powder measure today and set it to 100gr and hit the range.shot 30 or so round using t7 powder.When I got home I filled it and weighed the charge on my reloading scale it
read about fifty five grains should I be weighing powder instead of voluminizing it.The triple 7 pellets also weighed the same as the powder.

·
Registered
583 Posts
different powders, with different shape grains, cause a volume measure to throw different masses at the same volume. This is a function of the powder's geometry and how densly the grains fill the volume you are measuring.

You should adjust your volumetric powder measure so that it is throwing the volume/mass of the charge you want by weighing a charge and then adjusting appropriately unitl you get it just right. Then weigh a charge every so often to make sure it is throwing correct weight as your hopper volume decreases. For shotgunning the volume measue might be accurate enough but for prescision rifle loads I throw the charge from a volume powder measure and weigh each charge so I am sure I have it exaclty the same.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Pellets also are reduced in size to make them Equal in power to Pyrodex Pellets. Loose T7 is 15% hotter " more power" than Black powder or Pyrodex RS.

A 100 grain Volume charge of T7 actually weighs 77.7 grains on a scale.

·
Registered
583 Posts
sorry I didn't realize you were talking about a measure for black powder since you mentioned a reloading scale and I found the thread in general discussion. My fault I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts