Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let dispense with the formalities right away, my german heritage tells me to pronounce Weihrauch wy-ruk, heard a bunch of people on you-tube murder the pronounciation.
I ordered a 97k at Airguns of Arizona over a month ago, never came in so I looked around and found 10 of them in stock at Airgun depot, I wanted to patronize AOA because they've been great taking guns in on trade and customer service is outstanding over the years....but there's a limit to my patience, not getting any younger!
Airgun depot was over 100.00 more for the gun but they had a 10% discount special going and I called them and got an additional discount bringing the price to 20.00 difference, not going to sweat 20 bucks. Shipping was free to boot.
Ordered last Friday and came today, great packaging over the top of the factory box which was excellent. I mounted a Hawke 4x12 air rifle scope right away and went to the garage/back deck range, 20yds.
This gun is heavier than most break barrels but nothing like the RWS 54 I had, it was something like 11lbs with scope. Same thing with cocking, harder than break barrels but way easier than RWS side levers. I've gotten spoiled over the last couple of years shooting pcp guns, this rifle has some recoil, not bad but enough to effect accuracy if your not concentrating on a consistent hold every time.
From what I've seen on youtube I fully expected 800fps from a 10.5 grain pellet, unfortunately it averaged 724fps, thats not a big deal but it shortened the maximum point blank range 7yds, 47 down to 40yds .5" o/u It will be interesting to see what the velocities are like from a standard 177 8gr. pellet is.
I wanted a gun I could put in the truck and go take care of a pest control problem without worrying about having my pcp pumped up or taking a compressor with me. Most of my shooting doesn't require a really powerful airgun and this one will work.
Muzzle energy is 12ft lbs per European laws? maybe.
Regardless of that the gun certainly isn't disappointing on the target, only shot one pellet my favorite spring gun projectile is the JSB 10.34 heavy. Thinking that at 40yds this gun will easily keep all the shots under .5" which is great for a spring gun.
If your not quite ready for a pcp this would be a good choice for a spring gun. I've looked at it closely and there's not a flaw on it anywhere, those Germans know how to make guns.

I was adjusting the scope and shooting, after sighting in I shot the corners of the boxes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I just noticed the wavy lines in the closeup picture of the checkering, that's either my camera or computer screen, optical illusion, the checkering is perfectly straight.
Also shot a few groups right before dark tonight, the 10.5 jsb slugs did not group well but a couple of other heavy pellets landed in one 1/4" hole, the JSB 10.34gr.Hades hollow point and the H&N 9.57gr. Barracuda hunter extreme hollow point. Both of those pellets have that cross cut in the face to supposedly facilitate expansion on impact. I've never recovered one to see and the exit holes on rodents don't look any bigger, hard to determine if there was any more expansion than a standard round nose pellet.
I know the marketing worked because I've bought lots of them!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So here's another consideration for this gun, the report from the gun travelling at the speed of sound here is 1137fps, that's a good bit faster than the pellet at 724fps, it's likely to reach the animal before the pellet does, if the animal and we'll say it a prairie dog because that's what I shoot most often with squirrels running a close second is alarmed they start to move right away ruining the shot.
We have know way of knowing for certain but lets assume they move as quickly as a whitetail deer, 1/10 of a second reaction time, it takes sound roughly the same amount of time to travel 40yds, adding the two together you get 2/10ths of a second, that changes as the distance increases obviously but you can see where I'm headed. If I'm shooting at rodents the upper limit in distance is just under 50yds from the standpoint of it hearing the report and being able to move out of the way or enough to make it a wounding shot. Velocity is down to 611fps at that distance, that's definitely the velocity floor for complete penetration on a blacktail prairie dog with a 177 cal projectile. Energy is 9ft lbs, which is pretty good.
45yds is probably a good limit to set myself at for this gun on smallish rodents. That works out well for the trajectory as well, at 45yds it's shooting 1.25" low with a 35yd zero, easy hold over.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was up early this morning and thought it would be a good time to adjust the trigger on this gun, Weihrauch's come with a Rekord trigger, a simple flat blade screw accessible through a hole in the trigger guard is all that's needed to adjust one.
My 10yr old Beeman R7 which is actually a Weihrauch 30s {Beeman doesn't make air rifles} has the same trigger, 2-stage with no creep but quite a bit of overtravel. They can be set very light and still be safe from accidental discharge due to jarring.
This one was set at 3lbs from the factory, I gave it a full turn counter clockwise which lowered it to 2lbs, another turn brought it to 4ozs! That's to light for any gun except maybe a benchrest rifle so I gave it half turn up bringing it to 18ozs. It's consistent at that weight but I'm disappointed that there's some creep in the second stage.
Another thing that's a little difficult about the gun is that it has a very tight chamber, when trying to chamber thin waisted pellets they are easily jammed sideways, with the jsb heavies and hades it's not a problem because the waist is designed to ride the top of the lands.
Not going to complain to much because if the gun is as accurate as I suspect it is the tight chamber and less than perfect trigger are not a big deal.
Next phase is long range testing, looking for sub moa groups at 40yds.

Registered
I have a 97k Blue Laminate in .177. I suggest at some point you look into getting a Vortek spring kit. It will smooth out the firing sequence, and give you a velocity boost. I get a liitle over 900 fps with the JSB exacts @ 8.44 gr, and around 830-840 fos with the JSB 10.33 pellets. They are nice airguns, you should enjoy yours. HW97_77 PG4-STEEL HO Tune-Kit

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I'm ordering one but want to evaluate the accuracy with a stock gun before making any changes. Question, have you seen any difference in the accuracy of the rifle since putting in the upgraded parts? Also is it possible to return the gun to stock if I don't like it, are there any permanent alterations to the gun with this upgrade?

Registered
If it is the same as for a TX-200 it is a simple parts change, spring, top hat, and perhaps a washer or two. It can easily be returned to stock. Be sure and follow the instructions.

If my memory serves me correctly I believe there is a YouTube video of someone installing one in their HW97.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts