Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a worn part that I need to build up and resquare off. I have a wire feed and stick welder. What number rod or wire would one use? I'm open to any other suggestions on how to build up a worn part. Thanks

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Ben; We have done a lot of welding on gun parts....but, I would caution against using a wire feed or stick welder. We use liquid cooled TIG.....it allows for much better heat and depth control, and is more appropriate for the finer work that is required for gun parts.

·
Banned
327 Posts
I absolutely agree that GTAW (TIG) is the best process for this, however, if you MUST choose between what you have, use the wire feeder with .023" wire and use C25 as a shielding gas if you can. 100% CO2 may also work but not as well on small parts. You didn't say just how small the part was, which is what is really going to make all the difference. I used this exact procedure to repair armature shafts on Ford Model A horn motors when I didn't have access to a TIG at the time.

Practice on something very similar first, if you can. Don't hold the trigger and expect to let off when you think you've added enough. Hit-and-release the trigger fairly quickly (make sure you've already purged the gas!) and add just a little metal at a time.

The strength of the needed repair is going to depend greatly on what part you are repairing, of course. We are assuming it doesn't need to be heat-treated.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Ben - Before you weld, I would suggest checking that the "small part" you want to build up is weldable, and not just meltable - since IIRC not all are weldable, especially on newer guns with MIM parts.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gentlemen. I got an oppertunity to compare my gun to another one , So the part I thought was wore isn't the cause of the problem I'm having. So no welding neccesary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.