Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got through the shotgun reloading manual, and now I understand - I have a whole lot of nothing in my garage right now. I purchased a MEC 600 JR MK 5 a while back, and the guy through in a bunch of "freebies". Well... nothings "free". :D

First off is a large box of Remington Peters hulls. (By the way - I'm reloading .410 shotgun shells). They use a smaller primer than the common 209's - a size "57 or 157", which is now obsolete. So that big box of hulls is useless.

Secondly, I'm set up for skeet. I don't shoot skeet. I want to be set up for squirrel and rabbit. (They taste better than clay pigeons, no matter how much salt you put on the bright orange bastages. :p ) So the powder bushing / charge bar setup I have is wrong for what I want to do. I'm reading up on what I really need, and will be ordering those parts soon. I want to make sure I'm getting what I really need for shooting 3" game loads. I also have a half bag of #9 shot - pretty much useless for my purposes.

The powder. Well, it's the correct powder for what I want to do... if you go by the label. But the previous owner made some annotations in marker that I don't understand. I don't trust it. I'm going to start with some new powder, that I know is right - and what's in the container is what is written on the label. I'm not quite sure how to properly dispose of this canister of ball powder, but I'll read up and find out.

I think the only usable thing in this whole setup of "freebies" is the wads. I've got a full bag and another half bag of Winchester wads, and from what I have read, they are the right ones for what I want to do.

Disappointing when I figured out everything I had... but at the same time, I'm happy to finally start understanding what I have and what I actually need.

Looking forward to cranking out my first box of shells - but I'm doing it carefully. I don't need problems on my first reloading adventure.

All the best,
Glenn

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Well, it looks like you need to put some parts up on the trade block. If I were you, I would not use the powder. The general rule is if you didn't buy it new and open it, don't use it. Some things look like a good deal till you start researching them. I have had a few of those good deals in my life. Check the manuals for exactly what shot/powder bushings you need and check ebay and gunbrocker.com. Lots of MEC parts for sale on both sites. Good luck in getting your set up complete.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If those hulls take a 57* primer, they must be a lot older than that Mark V press. Remington phased out the 57* (and 69) size primers 35 or more years ago and went to the 209 size. For a while they called their 209 primer a 97*, now they use the same number as the rest of the industry.

DC

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DMC,
When the guy sold me the press, he told me those hulls take a "different primer than most", but he didn't know what it was. I know it's smaller, as a 209 primer doesn't even come close to fitting (hand checking with a spent primer). I checked that out after reading page 44 of the 5th edition Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook. It was where I found the 57 and 157 reference. I'm not quite sure how old these shells are, but most of them are green, with a few mixed in that are blueish/purple in color. All of them say Remington Peters on the plastic, written in white.

Jodum,
I'm not going to use the powder. That's good advice, and what I was thinking to begin with. I don't want to take the chance with someone's mis-marked powder. The container is Winchester 296, but it has some writing on it. Thanks for the help.

All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
416 Posts
I guess that's what I was kinda hinting at - that you should try one. :D The age of the press had me wondering.

Sprinkle the powder on your garden next Spring. Excellent fertilizer.

DC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts