Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Savage 204 model 16FXP3. It felt well balanced and light. I'll be sighting it in next weekend. Still gotta get a real scope though. Can't wait!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice lookin' rifle....does it have the new Accustock? Been thinkin' about tryin' one out myself.

Josh

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Josh, no, it doesn't have the accustock. Honestly I'm just getting into buying firearms and never heard of an accustock until I started reading about my gun today. Oh well, live and learn.

·
Registered
39 Posts
John,

I would'nt sweat the Accustock. Savages are well known for their accuracy regardless of the stock. I am sure you will poke tight little bug hole groups with that rifle.

The first rifle I ever bought myself when I was 16 years old was a Savage in 270. It also shot tiny little groups with regular consitancy. If you feel the rifle could do better after a couple trips to the range just glass bed it and there is your Accustock.

Regards,

Josh

·
Registered
542 Posts
Glass bedding is epoxying certain parts of the action into the stock (using a release agent so you can get it out later - your not actually gluing the action to the stock) for a more snug, secure fit. The more secure, the more consistent. The more consistent, the more accurate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thats twice you've helped me out now TGE, thanks for the explanation.

John,

If you get to the point where you think you are outshooting your rifle and you need more from it in the accuracy department. Come back and ask again, there are lots of resources available to help a guy out with bedding a rifle. Of course you could just pay someone else to do it too, your choice. Either way, it may or may not be needed depending on how acurate your gun is with some practice and load development.

It has been said that the gains from action bedding are smaller in proportion to the bore size or in other words, the gains are less with small calibers. For now, if it were me, ide hit the range as much as possible and shoot the heck out of it. The rest will come...practice is everything. Enjoy.

Josh

·
The Shadow
7,911 Posts
Congrats!!
I hope you like it, I have dies, brass and bullets with no more gun. If you want a to do some trading, or just get components cheap let me know.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds good

Congrats!!
I hope you like it, I have dies, brass and bullets with no more gun. If you want a to do some trading, or just get components cheap let me know.
I'll keept this in mind. I do want to get into reloading just to learn more about the sport.

Josh, I somehow think the gun will be way more accurate than me. I'll take your advice and shoot the heck out of it. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts