Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am new to this forum and am looking forward to sharing advice and converstion! I usually look for info on this forum but just recently decided to pose a question of my own.

What is the best well rounded bullet and grain weight for the .270?

I have tried remington core lokts in 130gr but am looking for more accuracy! I don't reload and am looking to use premium bullets. I have been comparing winchester xp3's, nosler accubonds in 140, and the new hornady superformance ammo. I know that I need to shoot them in my rifle to see which one is better but I would like to hear about any experiences with performance on medium to large game.

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
You are going to get the whole catalog of options in response to this one. I tell you though, a 140gr Nosler partition is going to be hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Don't have a clue what will be most accurate in your rifle. In mine, the 150 grain Nosler Partition is the most accurate I have tried. I view that as a bit unusual, but useful.

I am now shooting mostly 140 grain Accubonds in it as an "all rounder". I reload all my own. My moose load for that gun is the 150 grain Partition. I'm going to run some tests with Barnes TSX's this summer. The older Barnes bullets wouldn't shoot well, but I understand the newer designs deserve a second look. I like the idea of a 150 gr. Barnes for very heavy game if I can get them to work well.

·
Registered
354 Posts
+1 to the 140 grain Partition. I have great accuracy even with 90 grain Sierras and good hunting accuracy with 130 grain Remington ammo. The .270 is usually accurate with a variety of bullets.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
+1 to the Rubber Duck.

If you want pure accuracy, the Accubond might give better results than the Partition, but overall, the 140gr weight provides the best blend of MV as well as retained energy at longer ranges. Either one is likely to shoot very well in your gun and do everything you could ask for, as far as terminal performance is concerned. If you really want the best possible accuracy, you'll want to give further consideration to loading your own ammunition.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Sierra # 1835 is a sleeper. 140 grains of great performance.
I'm working old stock stuff from inventory, so not sure if still made?

Is sure worth a look if you can run it around 2800fps or so.
Rifles do prefer their own loads though!

Good luck finding what yours likes.
Cheezywan

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
What accuracy are you getting, and how much more do you need? The Remington Core-lokt load is a standard, and generally pretty good in most rifles as far as accuracy goes. Practically speaking, if you're getting 2" groups or less at 100 yards you are good to go for hunting, unless you're shooting chipmunks at 400 yards.
The only way to know if any load willl shoot better in your rifle is to shoot then all and see.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Pisgah, I am a fan of the Core-Lockts but I really only like them in a woods/field setting. For longer ranges and field only shots I prefer the Accubonds. I bought some of the new Winchester bonded ammo the other day. I plan on tryin them out on some coyotes as soon I get a chance.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I suggest you try reloading with some of the bullet weights & types other members suggest. Also various types of powders. My Ruger M-77 MKII shoots Sierra 130 grainers & Hornady 130 gr. SPT. accurately along with using IMR-4350. Infact I have the same POI with this load & Factory ammo.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
What kills me about threads like this is the guy makes his first (and only?) post on the forum, then disappears while we all debate the relative merits of one bullet over another. Since he doesn't handload he only has a handful of options to test out and go with whatever works best.

·
Registered
930 Posts
It's been so long since I bought factory ammo, I'm not really sure what's out there.

When I bought my 270 about 15 years ago I tried 130 and 140 gr bullets from Sierra, Nosler, and Speer. I had the best accuracy from the 130 Sierra Game King and the 130 Nosler Ballistic Tip. I used the cheaper Sierra for target and practice and used the NBT for game. The BT worked great, but were a bit too destructive on close range shots (several were inside of 50 yards.)

I'm loading up some 130 gr Hornady SST to try next. If I don't like them I'll try the Accubond, but I've had really good performance from Hornady bullets in other calibers so I'm confindent they'll work well.

Of the ones you mentioned, I'd try the Hornady Super Performance.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
Jakeway, if you can believe this, I've shot those exact same bullets, in my 270 and (so far) have had the best blend of accuracy, energy and reliable bullet performance (no extreme blow-up, but full pass-throughs) from the 140gr Accubond. The SST might be just as good, but for the hunting I do, I can't imagine a bullet being much "better" than the AB.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I agree. The main reason I bought the Hornady was the price of the Accubond. In retrospect, I should have just skipped one round of golf and bought a hundred Accubonds.

But since I've already purchased the SSTs, I'll load them up and give them a try.

·
Inactive
654 Posts
I will vote for the 140gr Accubond also. I have used it in my 270WSM, and it is a very accurate bullet. Worked very well on elk, muley's and whitetails. Overall it is a very good all around bullet. I have since moved away from them to the 150gr BT's for deer and may try the 150gr Partitions for a heavy load. Scotty

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.