Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maine has excellent moose hunting - if you get one of the 2700 resident or 300 non-res. permits. Bulls over 50" are not an unreasonable expectation.  Deer are large bodied common to northern latitude whitetails. State record 355 lbs. dressed. Last time I checked B&C records, Maine had more B&C bucks than all other N.E. states down to Penn. and Maryland combined.  They are rather well populated below Route 2, and become very spread out as you go North.  Lots of black bears. Turkeys are really coming on, with a strong population in the southern counties. I generally ask landowner permission, but unless land is posted, it's OK to hunt it. Blocking access to "fish or fowl" on a pond or lake is strictly forbidden by virtue of a very long standing colonial law that dates from when Maine was a territory of Massachusetts. Land leased by a group of hunters for their own use is basically non-existant in Maine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mainer,

It has been a lot years since I was in Maine, and then just to visit or pass through, but if I remember correctly, there is a Large area North of Augusta, somewhere around Old Town, where there are large tracts of unsettled land and water that looked like moose country, much of which might be accessible by canoe.  The water was fairly slow moving and lots of it.  Is that area where moose are hunted?  Do people hunt by canoe?  I remember the old ads for Remington and Winchester, and probably others, that showed such hunting, and I am wondering if it is still being done.

dclark

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most moose hunting is done north of an west to east line drawn from Bethel to Skowhegan to Calais. A few people do use canoes, but most of them ride around in trucks on logging roads hoping to spot one near a road. That method is kind of boring, and not that productive if you're looking for a trophy bull. However it works for the meat hunters. Overall success rate for all permits, regardless of hunting method or sex or trophy quality of moose harvested is in the 85% range annually. With the decreasing use of clear cuts by the paper companies, the road hunting success is going to drop, along with the moose population, as the cuts provide excellent visibility for hunters, and are virtual feedlots for moose.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
MAINER,
    What's the best mosquito dope to use? I was in Maine only once, vacationed there for about a week but I remember getting eaten alive by mosquitoes! It was early in the year, May or June it seems like, and it never got warm enough during the day to really drive them off. It rained and or misted the whole week we were there so that may have been a contributing factor.
     I have a friend back in Delaware that likes to go bear hunting in Maine most years. I think he would like to moose hunt too but has never drawn a tag.
         Good to hear from a northeasterner!   ID

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Mainer,

I only wish that Idaho had as many moose tags available as your neck of the woods!  I can't imagine that many tags being available in the lower 48!

In Idaho, I'm still waiting..... ours are a once in a lifetime opportunity.  If you are fortunate enough to get drawn (under 300 tags state-wide), and harvest a moose, you can never again apply for a tag!

What are the odds of drawing up there?

Thanks for the info, and God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ID Shooter - I use any fly dope that has deet in it. It's also the only time I enjoy smoking cigars, as the smoke works as well as anything to keep the bugs away. Also, dark or red clothing will attract black flies and skeeters. Sometimes nothing works. the biggest mosquitos I ever saw were at the Custer Battlefield. Almost as big as chickadees.

Marshall - We tried to get a moose season for years, but no governor would sign it into law - until 1980, when then Gov. Brennan hit one w/ his car. The only democrat I've ever voted for! Odds are long;  1 in 300 for a non-res with only 1 chance in the pool; 1 in 50 for non-res w/ 6 chances(the max) plus the top amount of bonus points. Anyone can be drawn regardless of the # of bonus points they have.

Thank you very much for this new section on regional hunting.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Alyeska asked about small game hunting in Vermont.  I don't know about VT, but in Maine the grouse hunting is fantastic.  The birds are ingenious and crafty and most shots are point blank followed by intemperate language.  They seem a lot smarter, quicker and stick to better cover than sharptails and spruce hens.  3-4 birds on a box of shells is not uncommon.  (This isn't counting road hunting or shooting them off a branch, etc).  

Charlie

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
I love bird hunting, but have never tried the "back east" grouse woods.  Sounds great.  I do a little quail hunting along the field's edge and scattered brushpiles in the southeast.  It is a charge.  I do love it and sounds like this is real similar, except maybe more exciting.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hello there neighbours!  Greetings from New Brunswick!

I have been enjoying the posts a whole lot and just had to get in on the fun.  

I've lived in New Brunswick (NB) for the last six years with my wife and 3 children on an old farm that has been in my wife's family for 30 years or so.  The hunting here has been a bit of a disappointment for me.  The deer hunting is pretty good (I put down an 8 pointer that dressed out at 275lbs a couple seasons ago), but I have never managed to draw a moose tag.  Chances for residents aren't too bad at 1:10, but the "hunt" is a three day free-for-all with any moose being legal.

That sort of bugs me, having grown up in Northern Ontario.  Back home, the season can run 100 days!  There is a draw there now, but there are plenty of remoter areas where tags are guaranteed because the areas are so difficult to get to.  One such area I hunted by canoe on a lovely little river called the Drowning.  I saw 13 moose in as many days from 20 feet to 100 yards.  One was a HUGE bull that would have gone well over 1,000lbs (the record up there was about 1,500lbs, if I am not mistaken).  Unfortunately, I hadn't applied for a tag that year so I was only entitled to hunt for a calf, whose mothers all took VERY good care of their babies.  It was a great hunt but there wasn't any meat to take home.

Good to be able to chat with some fellow hunters in the great North Woods!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts