Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My long gun spoke and the deer definitely heard it, but it was too late. 1/2 a step later, he crumbled. 8)

Shot with one of my reloads: 325gr. Hornady Interlock HP with 46.7 gr. Reloader7. ;)
He looks small, but he was actually about 100 lbs. I butchered him and got 60 lbs of usable meat. 8)

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
We don't ridicule others for their accomplishments, garfield. Do you know anything about where he lives or the condition of the deer herd, there? Yeah, it's obviously a young deer and in many places, one that you shouldn't shoot, but what if this deer stepped out very late or very early and he couldn't tell it was a yearling? Do you have any idea what percentage of the deer harvested each year are buck or doe fawns? In many places, it's more than 20% because, by the time season rolls around, they're getting pretty big, like this one.

A wise man saves his judgment for his OWN actions, not those of others.

Good job with the handloads and harvesting your first deer with the new gun, Tacklebury. I bet he tastes wonderful! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Open sights to boot? Unless he put a 4-14x on a BC (yuck) then at anything more than 50 yds, it just looked like the rest of the young bucks. Nice shot, and continued succes.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,699 Posts
I've shot lots of them that were like a deer, only smaller :D as my dad would say. 100 lbs would be pretty impressive where I bowhunt in the Texas hill country. They don't get very big eating rocks, prickly pear cactus, and cedar, which comprise about 99% of the habitat.

We get 5 tags so I just keep shooting! Good job and thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hope you are not in Wa or OR. that is what the Columbia white tail species look like through out their life span, and we go to jail or pay $10K and loose our gun and our truck if we shoot them here. sounds like a country song. :D Good hunting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
if your in michigan and hunt your family farmthats the size to go for tenger and they havnt eaten years of cropsplus we have too many deer

·
Banned
742 Posts
I know of some people who prefer young deer. They taste better.

Plus saving the big deer means they can breed. Leaving the small deer and only taking big deer means only the small deer will breed. What do you thing the result of that will be in 50 years? If you do not believe me look at your human neighbors. Short parents have short kids. Tall parents have tall kids. Skinny parents have skinny kids. And muscular parents have muscular kids. It is what it is. Taking only the biggest game degrades the herd (for our wants.) If it's not a once in a life time deer, let it go. Take a smaller deer. It'll likey taste better anyway. Why shoot four and six points all your life? In the end you're only hurting your chances at getting that real big one.

·
Banned
421 Posts
Looks like real good eating to me! That's what I look for when deer hunting. Those big racks can be pretty tough eating.
Congratulations on a nice one!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts